Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American wheat  (Read 1390 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
American wheat
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:41:06 am »
I am getting ready for spring landscaping beers so hoppy wheat, rye, and hoppy lagers are on deck.  For my arrogant American wheat I have been doing simple

55% wheat
20% Bel. Pale
20% US Pale
5% Crystal 40L or Crystal wheat if I can't find it.

Sometimes I will throw a touch of chocolate wheat for the +8SRM

This year I am thinking about a piney wheat beer.

Chinook ~25IBUs @60m
CTZ or Pilgrim ~5IBUs <5m
Citra and Centennial WP 20m

American Ale or Am. Hefe is usually the strain  although I may try the same with achouffe?? And before I end the post I get another brew idea.  At any rate Cheers!  Any thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:24:26 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: American wheat
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:12:38 pm »
I think Chinook late adds more pine flavors than when using it to bitter, where it emphasizes resiny.

I'd consider taking a bit of the CTZ (which is low cohumulone so you will get a smooth bitterness out of it) and using it in small amounts to hit your target IBU level, after moving all that piney Chinook to late in the boil (10 mins and later).

my .02
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: American wheat
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 03:44:43 pm »
I think Chinook late adds more pine flavors than when using it to bitter, where it emphasizes resiny.

I'd consider taking a bit of the CTZ (which is low cohumulone so you will get a smooth bitterness out of it) and using it in small amounts to hit your target IBU level, after moving all that piney Chinook to late in the boil (10 mins and later).

my .02
That brings up a perfect point... ctz to me is a sharp bitterness but I could balance with a little crystal

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)