Author Topic: Crushed grain powder  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Zaxxle

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Crushed grain powder
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:50:00 AM »
I don't have my own grain mill yet and I do not have a local brew shop. I have to order my grain pre milled and when I buy a 10 lb bag I end up with quite a bit of fine dust. Should I be sifting that out of my grain before the mash or is it something integral to the mash?

Also, what grain mill should I buy when I get there?

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Crushed grain powder
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 01:24:33 AM »
You can filter it out if you would like. Whether it matters much will depend on whether you vorlauf, and how you mash. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Again, how you brew, how often, and how much cash you have will help slim down your mill choices.

Popular options include

Corona mill $25~. Great low budget mill, especially for biabers. There's some claims that it will produce a greater chance of astringency due to shredding the grain husk, I don't buy it though. I haven't had any issues as long as pH is managed properly.

Barley crusher $~125. Decent intro mill, tends to break down after awhile though. Warranty is a joke. I would not recommend buying unless you can get it in writing that the retailer you purchase through will take care of the warranty for you if the manufacturer ignores or says it's normal wear and tear.

Cereal killer $~90: Knock off version of barley crusher, slightly better longevity.

After that there's the monster mill and larger/more expensive mills. >$250

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 03:09:01 AM »
That grain dust likely has some fermentables in it.

I have a 2-roll monster mill and love it.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 03:16:40 AM »
The Millars mill has features similar to the Monster, but was significantly less costly a couple years ago

Offline Bob357

• Assistant Brewer
  • I can't hang with Denny. My day ends at 1.060.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 04:12:29 AM »
I agree on the Corona mill being a decent and low cost alternative to a roller mill. I used a Victoria mill for several years before getting a roller mill and you'd be hard pressed to find a difference in the crush between the two.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Online natebrews

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »
I have the Cereal Killer grain mill, it has been fine and I probably have 130 batches on it.  I drive mine with a cordless drill set on the low speed setting.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Online Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »
JSP Malt Mill. It' last forever; it's a tank!
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
You shouldn't need to filter anything out.  If their mill is decent, that flour is the malt fermentables, not shredded husks.
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 02:53:07 PM »
You shouldn't need to filter anything out.  If their mill is decent, that flour is the malt fermentables, not shredded husks.

Yep.  If you don't use that stuff your efficiency will be way off.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
I agree with everyone that you should not filter out the "flour" from your bag of crushed malts.  It may increase the cloudiness of your wort but will settle out throughout the brewing/fermenting process, and will not make it through to bottle/keg.

As for mill, the MattMill Kompact from Austin Homebrewsupply is a serious contender if you have the money.  If I were buying a mill today, this would be on the top of my list for researching pros/cons.  A few years ago I went with a Monster 2-roller and have been happy with it.  There are lots of good/great options out there from as cheap as ~$20 to as much as your entire savings account :D, and many have already been recommended.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »
I've ben using a JSP MaltMill for nearly 20 years and literally tons of grain.  It still works as well as it did the first time I used it and I get a great crush.  I would be hard pressed to recommend any other based on my experience.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 04:14:50 PM »
+1 for the JSP Malt Mill. 

My LHBS has 3 in their grain room that see almost constant usage on the weekends.  They are tanks.  And, thanks the the AHA Membership discount, was able to get mine for under $200.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
Any mill is better than no mill, and money well spent. Milled grain oxidizes in a hurry....fresh is best.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:26:24 PM by Alewyfe »
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 07:18:45 PM »
Any mill is better than no mill, and money well spent. Milled grain oxidizes in a hurry....fresh is best.

Ya know, that's a myth we busted on Experimental Brewing.  Briess ( and I think some other maltster) have said that their precrushed grain is good for 6-12 months.  My own experience is that grain I had crushed 5 months earlier made a killer pilsner.  However, I don't mean to discount your experience, either.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 10:14:28 PM »
Zaxxle, Just keep making beer...and use the flour. It's beer goodness in powder form. Brewing is about brewing, crushing is only a step in the process and you can take that step when you decide your interests in the hobby warrants it. Cheers!
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"