Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Induction Heater for SS BrewKettle  (Read 4125 times)

Offline cgranger

• 1st Kit
Induction Heater for SS BrewKettle
« on: March 18, 2017, 07:13:38 am »
I'm interested in moving my brewing to my basement, and am considering an induction burner.  Since my current kettle is not induction compatible, I'm thinking about the 10 gallon SS BrewKettle.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ss-brew-kettles/products/ss-brew-kettle-10-gallon

Does anyone have an induction heater they'd recommend for this 10 gallon pot (13.8" diameter)?  I'd have a 240 outlet put in if need be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline goettsch5230

• 1st Kit
Re: Induction Heater for SS BrewKettle
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:20:16 am »
You'd need at least a 3000w burner to get 10 gallons to a boil in any decent time. I use these daily in my restaurant so I know they work well. It brings 6 gallons of cold water to a rolling boil in about 12-15 minutes when covered. That would need a 30 amp plug. I think a 5000w would be better though. You can get them off of amazon. The brand I use is max burton but I don't know if they make 5000 watt ones. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:59:02 am »
Avantco 3500w would be my suggestion.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:11:40 am »
I'm just about to pull the trigger on the Avantco 3500w myself.  Webstaurantstore.com has better prices than amazon but if you're not a commercial buyer, they will give you a hard time about warranties and returns.  They also say that the pot should not have a bottom diameter greater than 10.25".  Supposedly, anything larger will cause problems and possibly lead to the failure of the cooktop.  Their words, I have no idea how true that is.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:14:59 am by case thrower »
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 09:25:01 am »
+1 for the Avantco 3500W, 240V.

I purchased one of these before getting a BrewEasy system. It worked great and the only reason I went away from it was to get some more process automation.

As far as pot size, I am guessing they are concerned about the weight. Since the heater works by magnetic fields, the pot does not have to contact the induction heater. You can support the pot separately. I've seen pictures of oversized pots supported by 2x4's with the induction heater slid under, but not supporting the pot. My pot fit on it perfectly so I did not have to do this, but apparently it works well.
Roger

Offline jrstephens65

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 12:06:07 pm »
Here is another choice for you.  I have one and use it inside with my Spike 10gal kettle.  It says it has a 300lb capacity and it is not that much more expensive than the Avantco.

http://www.jesrestaurantequipment.com/manual-control-induction-cooker-constructed-heavy-duty-stain-p-1052240.html

If you sign up for JES's newsletter they will give you a discount code.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:09:17 pm by jrstephens65 »

The Beerery

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 01:56:29 pm »
I have that adcraft, as its able to be hooked up to a pid. I used it on an automated decoction setup. I used a 10gal tallboy though.

Offline cgranger

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 06:44:19 pm »
I'm just about to pull the trigger on the Avantco 3500w myself.  Webstaurantstore.com has better prices than amazon but if you're not a commercial buyer, they will give you a hard time about warranties and returns.  They also say that the pot should not have a bottom diameter greater than 10.25".  Supposedly, anything larger will cause problems and possibly lead to the failure of the cooktop.  Their words, I have no idea how true that is.
I think most 10 gallon pots have a 13 - 15 inch diameter.  Is the Avantco out based on that?

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:58:33 pm »
I think most 10 gallon pots have a 13 - 15 inch diameter.  Is the Avantco out based on that?

Not quite sure what your question is.  Webstaurantstore says that the pot cannot have a diameter larger than 10 1/4".  I'm assuming they are referring to the surface of the pot that is in contact with the cooktop.  I haven't bought mine yet so I can't say anything definite.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-ic3500-countertop-induction-range-cooker-208-240v-3500w/177IC3500%20%20%20208*240.html

As far as pot size, I am guessing they are concerned about the weight. Since the heater works by magnetic fields, the pot does not have to contact the induction heater. You can support the pot separately. I've seen pictures of oversized pots supported by 2x4's with the induction heater slid under, but not supporting the pot. My pot fit on it perfectly so I did not have to do this, but apparently it works well.

I don't think weight is the big concern here.  There's a review from a home brewer whose cooktop died and the only thing the company mentioned was the pot diameter.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.