Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Idea for experimentation  (Read 3521 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Idea for experimentation
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 06:22:10 pm »

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 07:17:31 pm »
Still a beautiful collection Pete!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 07:19:40 pm »
Ha ha!  Nothing is ever simple is it?  The bottom line for me is a practical application.  For those who use a transparent fermentation vessel, what is the maximum exposure to average (I know...) indoor light (where most fermenting & bottling occurs) without off-flavors occurring.

It seems this would be fairly easy.  Have brewers detail every bit of time the wort/beer is exposed to light, with some designated for specific periods of time (i.e.: 5 minutes, 10, 20, 30).  All one would have to do is open the cloth covering, open the door or whatever else is blocking the light.

I guess I am arguing for the middle of the road approach - something that would be indicative, but not worthy of publishing in a peer reviewed journal.

Incandescent light, no worries.  Daylight and fluorescent is what you need to worry about.

What about LCD lights? I'm thinking that many brewers, like me, have converted all their incandescent bulbs to LCD.

Good question, Frank!  Unless someone here pops up with an answer, I'll try to do some research see how they compare.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 07:30:45 pm »
Ha ha!  Nothing is ever simple is it?  The bottom line for me is a practical application.  For those who use a transparent fermentation vessel, what is the maximum exposure to average (I know...) indoor light (where most fermenting & bottling occurs) without off-flavors occurring.

It seems this would be fairly easy.  Have brewers detail every bit of time the wort/beer is exposed to light, with some designated for specific periods of time (i.e.: 5 minutes, 10, 20, 30).  All one would have to do is open the cloth covering, open the door or whatever else is blocking the light.

I guess I am arguing for the middle of the road approach - something that would be indicative, but not worthy of publishing in a peer reviewed journal.

Incandescent light, no worries.  Daylight and fluorescent is what you need to worry about.

What about LCD lights? I'm thinking that many brewers, like me, have converted all their incandescent bulbs to LCD.

Good question, Frank!  Unless someone here pops up with an answer, I'll try to do some research see how they compare.
It depends to the temp to some degree (not a pun, or is it). LEDs do have peak in the blue part of the spectrum.
Here is a comparison.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/reviews/g164/incandescent-vs-compact-fluorescent-vs-led-ultimate-light-bulb-test/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 07:49:26 pm »

It depends to the temp to some degree (not a pun, or is it). LEDs do have peak in the blue part of the spectrum.
Here is a comparison.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/reviews/g164/incandescent-vs-compact-fluorescent-vs-led-ultimate-light-bulb-test/

Thank ya, sir!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 07:56:27 pm »
I just find it too easy to put a covering over my vessels. Why take a chance or experiment? Its too easy to simply cover up to not to.

I agree, Pete. Each his own, though. As for being outside with a beer, I try to keep it out of the sun or just accept that it'll get lightstruck pretty quickly.
Mine never have time to skunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 05:10:17 am »

Here is a comparison.

Thank ya, sir!

Yes, thanks! It looks like I'll continue to drape my carboys with tee shirts.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 07:29:33 am »
Quote from: coolman26 link=topic=29000.msg381383#msg381383
Mine never have time to skunk.

Yeah, there is that.    :)
Jon H.

Online chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 09:56:00 am »
To me, a far more interesting experiment would be to take a case of skunked bottled beer, and see how long they have to sit in a dark cold fridge before the skunk flavor goes away.  I recall it is about two months, but the time I did that, it was a long time ago.  And PU doesn't come in skunky green bottles anymore.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 10:10:36 am »
To me, a far more interesting experiment would be to take a case of skunked bottled beer, and see how long they have to sit in a dark cold fridge before the skunk flavor goes away.  I recall it is about two months, but the time I did that, it was a long time ago.  And PU doesn't come in skunky green bottles anymore.
It is pretty good out of 500ml cans.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 11:42:53 am »
Something I don't see mentioned on here is the huge difference in intensity between household lights and sunlight.

I've never much worried about house lights, whether they be incandescent, CFL, or LED. My beers ferment in the dark, and I don't see any issues from household lighting when transferring.

That being said, the place where I transfer beers is in direct sunlight most of the day, so I typically transfer on cloudy days or after sunset. This will change soon.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Jkrehbielp

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 04:17:07 pm »
Another issue is that the mercaptans that cause the skunky flavor and aroma are very volatile. If the reaction happens in a fermentation vessel, does the effect carry over to the finished product?

I would expect for there to be little or no effect from the fermenter, but a sealed bottle or a glass of beer being consumed is another story.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk