Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long does it take you to brew a beer?  (Read 10188 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: How long does it take you to brew a beer?
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2017, 06:35:10 am »
Have yet to try out a 30 minute boil, but I believe it would depend on the vigor of the boil as to whether or not those tasks will be accomplished.

I did 30 minute boils in my last two brews. No problems so far. The first one tastes normal, second one still in the FV. As far as I understand, the boil just needs to generate continual motion as the agitation speeds up chemical reactions. I'm not keen on very vigorous boils as i brew indoors - can get messy.

I brewed yesterday. I set up an overnight mash the previous evening. Full liquor volume & no sparge. No vorlauf needed as the grain bed had settled for 8 hours. Opened the tap to collect runnings 8:25 a.m., started boil at 9:00, flameout 9:30, finished chilling at 10:13. Painless and quick.

I'd need to see very strong evidence that beer is better brewed the long way as it would be painful reverting to 6 hour brew days - i just don't have enough free time for that at the moment.

Man, that is great! 

Did you lose considerable heat in your mash tun doing it that way over night? That would be my only concern.

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2017, 09:45:01 am »
5 Liters (BIAB/All grain) in 60 minutes (Prep, Mash, Boil, Cooling, Clean-Up) which produces 12 bottles ready to drink in about 14 days.  Typically, 20 minute mash and 20 minute boil.  If I am really grooving, bottle another batch during the same 60 minutes.
20 minute mash? Nice! I might have to try that soon! I've played around with short boils before, but never wanted to mess with my mash due to efficiency concerns. Now that I've gotten a new mill my efficiency is much better and much more consistent! So, time to play with my process, haha!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2017, 12:06:09 pm »
Man, that is great! 

Did you lose considerable heat in your mash tun doing it that way over night? That would be my only concern.

Started mash at 153F and it dropped to 135 by the morning in a picnic cooler tun with a couple of coats on top.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2017, 12:12:20 pm »
5 Liters (BIAB/All grain) in 60 minutes (Prep, Mash, Boil, Cooling, Clean-Up) which produces 12 bottles ready to drink in about 14 days.  Typically, 20 minute mash and 20 minute boil.  If I am really grooving, bottle another batch during the same 60 minutes.
20 minute mash? Nice! I might have to try that soon! I've played around with short boils before, but never wanted to mess with my mash due to efficiency concerns. Now that I've gotten a new mill my efficiency is much better and much more consistent! So, time to play with my process, haha!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I've done a 20 minute mash and boil with no problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2017, 08:00:28 am »
The brewhouse efficiency for my 20 minute mash is about 60 percent on the finest grind at 149F.  I have not tried Barley malt flour which could be interesting but the idea of flour weirds me out.  Do I hear a chance at being an Igor? 😁

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:00:16 am by PharmBrewer »
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2017, 08:37:59 am »
Hey remember the nut job that pulled off 3 brews in the same day?  He did it again.  He is soar, and whining about his back pain, imagine that.  He tried to pull off another crazy 3 brews but somehow got it done in 9 hours and 49 mins with clean up, on a 2V setup.  I don't know what his problem is...  A therapist would probably say an unhealthy amount of self abuse, and a little burn on his wrist.

Baby Brown - 1.044
Black Beard - 1.052
Krompus at Midnight - 1.097

Anyone up for a nap??  This midnight vacation brewing is making an old man out of that jack-a$$
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2017, 12:21:54 pm »
Hey remember the nut job that pulled off 3 brews in the same day?  He did it again.  He is soar, and whining about his back pain, imagine that.  He tried to pull off another crazy 3 brews but somehow got it done in 9 hours and 49 mins with clean up, on a 2V setup.  I don't know what his problem is...  A therapist would probably say an unhealthy amount of self abuse, and a little burn on his wrist.

Baby Brown - 1.044
Black Beard - 1.052
Krompus at Midnight - 1.097

Anyone up for a nap??  This midnight vacation brewing is making an old man out of that jack-a$$

You sure you don't want to call one of them "Grandpa Has Arthritis"?   :D

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2017, 09:51:39 pm »
The brewhouse efficiency for my 20 minute mash is about 60 percent on the finest grind at 149F. 

I think efficiency has more to do with sparge etc than mash duration.  I can hit 80%+ at 30m, but that is a double batch sparge.  With single sparge I am in mid 70's and I am predicting mid 60's on a no sparge. 

Someone mentioned session taking long due to warm ground water when chilling.  Just get it down under 100F and park it in the fridge overnight and pitch in AM...   
Sam
Sandusky, OH