Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Suggestions for an Over-the-Top, Citrusy IPA  (Read 7621 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Hop Suggestions for an Over-the-Top, Citrusy IPA
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 12:47:49 pm »
Thanks good to know. Maybe in a Saison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 01:00:01 pm »

I will say as a Lemon Drop fan that it's one of the hops in Stone Delicious IPA, along with El Dorado. That beer isn't exactly a lemon meringue pie, it's tasty IMO. I like it with hops like Amarillo, Citra, and others. Each his own. As for it in a saison, it's very good - I'm using some more in a saison soon.

Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 12:48:33 am »

I will say as a Lemon Drop fan that it's one of the hops in Stone Delicious IPA, along with El Dorado. That beer isn't exactly a lemon meringue pie, it's tasty IMO. I like it with hops like Amarillo, Citra, and others. Each his own. As for it in a saison, it's very good - I'm using some more in a saison soon.

I don't mean to cast a negative spin - in my limited experience it's just not to my palate.  And oddly enough, it was worse when it was super fresh, and again six months after kegging.  In the middle 6 months I enjoyed it.  Weird, right?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 05:17:55 am »

I don't mean to cast a negative spin - in my limited experience it's just not to my palate.  And oddly enough, it was worse when it was super fresh, and again six months after kegging.  In the middle 6 months I enjoyed it.  Weird, right?

Hey, we like what we like. All good!
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 05:42:44 pm »
In my opinion, galaxy is the best citrusy hop. Also, Amarillo has a great orange/grapefruit taste. Like noted Citra has a mango/pineapple with a spin of resin flavor. I love the Citra/galaxy combo. It's probably my favorite combo and works well 1:1.

Just remember, everybody's taste buds are different and interpret flavors differently.
Frank

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 07:32:52 pm »
admittedly this is a style I do not enjoy drinking, but has anyone just made a strong light beer and mixed in some pineapple juice or something? These NEIPA's seem to literally taste like pineapple/orange/mango juice and if that's what you're going for, why not just add the juice and leave out the 30 dollar a pound juicy hops.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 05:51:14 am »
I'm about to brew a double IPA with El Dorado.  To me that hop tastes a lot like Oranges.  I'm also a big fan of Mosaic, I use it to add some citrus to my CDA to cut the piney of Cascade.

admittedly this is a style I do not enjoy drinking, but has anyone just made a strong light beer and mixed in some pineapple juice or something? These NEIPA's seem to literally taste like pineapple/orange/mango juice and if that's what you're going for, why not just add the juice and leave out the 30 dollar a pound juicy hops.

As far as adding the juice, I'd imagine if the goal is to get that flavor with only traditional beer ingredients then adding juice or zest is "cheating".  There's a lot of new "Citrus IPAs" on the market now that use orange peel and lemon zest, but if you're going for "juicy hop bomb" you want to do that with hops.  Different strokes for different folks.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline apopnj01

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 03:49:47 pm »
My favorites citra, galaxy, mosaic , el dorado , mandarina -  u will not get much juicier than this

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 04:50:28 am »
CTZ, Citra, Galaxy, Amarillo, Mandarina Bavaria, and Idaho 7.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 12:56:35 pm »
I find that a combination of Simcoe (during boil) and Nelson (flavor & aroma) makes a very nice combination for hoppy brews.  I usually start with these for my hop-rich AIPA's, and fill in with other hops at FO and dry hopping.

Amarillo, CTZ, and Warrior are also great high-alpha acid hops for bittering of IPA's.  For flavor and dry hopping, besides Nelson, I like to add Northern Brewer or HBC-438 (an experimental hop designed just for home brewers).
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale