Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tangy Aftertaste  (Read 3027 times)

Offline bigern26

• 1st Kit
Tangy Aftertaste
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:34:09 am »
I have brewed 3 extract batches so far. Irish Red has been bottled for almost a month, Caribou Slobber has been bottled for 2 weeks. Both kits from Northern Brewers.
They both have a tangy aftertaste. Its worse toward the end of a glass. Almost makes them hard to drink.

Water is from private well and is high in Iron bacteria. We do have a Kinetico Water system with 5 micron filter, Calcite tank and softener that is empty of salt. I am not sure if it is the water or just the fact that they are extract kits.

Wondering if there is anything that I might need to try to get rid of it. Both were boiled in used stainless pot, Irish Red was fermented in a Plastic Big Mouth Bubbler and Caribou Slobber was fermented in a glass carboy. Both of them had this same taste before bottling.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Tangy Aftertaste
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:39:03 am »
If your well water is high in iron bacteria, by association it is high in iron.  A 5 micron filter isn't going to take the iron out of it.  Iron is bad for beer.  I brewed a brown ale once with a friend's well water that was high in iron, and it had what I suppose you could call a tangy aftertaste.  I thought it taste more like blood.

I would ditch that water, and buy some bottled water from a store for brewing.  Especially an extract beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:43:45 am »
1.  Are your beers fairly clear, or hazy? If they're hazy because the yeast hasn't dropped completely , you could definitely get a tangy/tart, sometimes bitter flavor from the yeast. If so, it'll get better when the beer clears.

2.  Do you control pH?  A mash pH that's too low (5.0 and under) could give the beer a slight tart character.

3/  Infection is a possibility and would likely get worse with time

Edit - All this assumes that the Fe content isn't the culprit which is definitely possible.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:45:44 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:45:07 am »
Water is the likely culprit and the easiest to test. Definitely try brewing a batch with bottled drinking water.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bigern26

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 09:47:34 am »
The beer is clear. Not hazy.
I never checked ph as I didnt know I should on an extract brew.
I never noticed an infection but I only know what to look for with the ones that grow on the top of the beer in the carboy.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:51:23 am »
With extract you should be using either distilled or RO water. Most supermarkets have RO dispensing machines and get around $.35 per gallon.  The extract manufacturer added the necessary minerals during production, so the water profile is already set.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 09:52:59 am »
Note that water with a high iron content can taste perfectly fine, but once you brew with it all sorts of off-tastes can pop up in the resultant beer.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:57:20 am »
The beer is clear. Not hazy.
I never checked ph as I didnt know I should on an extract brew.
I never noticed an infection but I only know what to look for with the ones that grow on the top of the beer in the carboy.
-You don't need to check pH for an extract-only beer.
-You should buy RO/distilled water because of the iron in your water.
-If you exclude oxygen then an infection won't form a pellicle on top of the beer.  I suspect you have an infection that becomes more noticeable as the beer warms up.

Are you using a rinse-free sanitizer?

Offline bigern26

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 10:16:45 am »
Yes I sanitized everything with Star-San. Sanitized water in the airlocks and sanitized everything when taking samples. Every sample tasted the same pretty much.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 12:22:01 pm »
I don't know much about iron in water, but certain yeast strains can also give a tangy taste.  Nottingham does it for sure, as far as my tastes go.  Not everyone gets that flavor though.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline cgranger

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 04:54:41 pm »
Just curious, how much water do you steep specialty grains in?  It's better to steep in a gallon or two, even if you're doing a full 5 or 6 gallon boil. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 06:45:40 pm »
Just curious, how much water do you steep specialty grains in?  It's better to steep in a gallon or two, even if you're doing a full 5 or 6 gallon boil. 

I've done it both ways and never noticed a difference.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline cgranger

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 08:05:33 pm »

I've done it both ways and never noticed a difference.
There is some risk of pH problems if you use too much (or too little) water for steeping.
https://beerandbrewing.com/26HcNVJrqQC40GsyaCe88m/article/the-right-way-to-steep-specialty-grains

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 05:30:28 am »
Sounds like the "extract twang", due either to old extract, not great water, or in this case maybe also the bacteria of which you speak.

Following are general pointers that should help.  Copy image into Word for easy printing if desired.

Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.