Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is this too many hops in session APA?  (Read 3645 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Is this too many hops in session APA?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 09:05:30 am »
How much difference do you think you get between a 0-5min addition vs a 20 minute whirlpool at 180F (or whatever temp is used)?  I only did a long hop whirlpool once, but that was long ago and was underwhelming. 

I understand a lot of people are doing hop stands now, but I'm curious what a side by side of 0-5min vs hop stand would show.  When I revere this, I'll look into it since it should be easy enough to do. 

I have been avoiding dry hopping due to the oxygen pickup problems it can introduce (mostly taking them back out of the keg after it has done its thing).  I have done a couple where I put a nylon bag in the keg with hops, and that worked well for a while but I think long exposure time didn't help.  Things started tasting a bit off after a few weeks.

I just feel that I get a rounder taste. I'm not opposed to using 5 or 10 minute additions, but I usually do that in a more abrasive IPA. I just think that you'll get plenty of IBUs with your Columbus, that you won't need anymore. I do a 180 degree whirlpool and sometimes I do a 0 minute hopstand. I'll be utilizing the hopstand this weekend with an imperial hoppy amber.
Frank