Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: It begins...  (Read 11008 times)

Offline friendlyjoe

• 1st Kit
It begins...
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:22:32 pm »
This is what happens when Anheuser-Busch Inbev, the world's largest brewing company, purchases Northern Brewer, one of the largest homebrew supply businesses in the United States (as you’re likely aware, Anheuser-Busch Inbev acquired Goose Island Beer Company in 2011).

“A crummy commercial?!  Son of a b****!!”

— Ralphie Parker, 1983

https://www.northernbrewer.com/learn/goose-island-beer

narvin

Re: It begins...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:27:18 pm »
From the instructions: http://docs.northernbrewer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/allgrain/AG-GooseIslandMilkPorter.pdf

"· 4.5 lbs Goose Island Milk Porter Brewery Edition Grain Blend"

This is what bothers me, when you start to see proprietary recipes and ingredients that you don't know what they are.  Might as well just start brewing Mr. Beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 03:38:14 pm »
From the instructions: http://docs.northernbrewer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/allgrain/AG-GooseIslandMilkPorter.pdf

This is what bothers me, when you start to see proprietary recipes and ingredients that you don't know what they are.  Might as well just start brewing Mr. Beer.

I agree. Nothing good was gonna come from this (or any other) ABI buyout IMO.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 03:42:47 pm »
This is what several of you guys predicted would happen.

I am not a fan. I would rather just buy a six pack...

I'm pretty proud that almost all of my recipes are my own (with help from this forum of course).

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 03:48:27 pm »
This is what several of you guys predicted would happen.

I am not a fan. I would rather just buy a six pack...

I'm pretty proud that almost all of my recipes are my own (with help from this forum of course).

I like how "open source" most companies/breweries make their recipes and procedures. Doesn't seem to be the case with NB/INBEV anymore.

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 04:14:13 pm »
I think someone should archive all of the old Brewing TV episodes and recipes before they are gone forever.
John L.
---
Planning: Simcoe SMaSH
Bubbling:
Drinking: Saison, Amber Ale, APA, American Strong Ale

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 04:24:36 pm »

I'm with you there.  Initially, I was going to say what's the big deal.  NB and others have been working with breweries to put out kits for many years.  This is not really that different, but then you've got a secret mix of grains.

It's not like any two brewers will have those kits come out exactly the same anyway.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 04:41:48 pm »
This is not really that different, but then you've got a secret mix of grains.

It's not like any two brewers will have those kits come out exactly the same anyway.

Yep, exactly. When it starts getting proprietary from ABI owned breweries, it kinda starts defeating the spirit of the hobby ( as well as showing true motives). Sharing recipes here is a pretty cool thing, all the while knowing that no one's version will be identical. Each his own, I guess.
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 05:00:14 pm »
Paranoia
The Destroyer

....if you are buying pre-made kits to clone a beer you like, do you really care what the grain bill is?

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 05:09:24 pm »
Paranoia
The Destroyer

....if you are buying pre-made kits to clone a beer you like, do you really care what the grain bill is?

If I'm buying a kit and cloning I guess I don't care what the grain bill is, but what I do like is the openness and sharing of information that is lacking with this kind of stuff.

And this seems weird, beer is a food product right? Don't they kinda have to tell us what the ingredients are?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 05:36:54 pm »

Probably not. But the secretive nature is disappointing regardless. No paranoia here, but the buyout of NB is starting to look like I feared it might and hoped it wouldn't. Oh well, doesn't mean I have to buy there.

Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 06:26:39 pm »
Paranoia
The Destroyer

Yes, if I have to pay $63 for an all grain kit, I'd like the recipe. I'm pretty sure that I could brew it for half that.

They're probably not marketing to me.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:28:12 pm by Frankenbrew »
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 06:49:02 pm »
I'm sure this will get me some comments, but...

Could it be possible that AB/goose is big enough that they actually have malts custom malted/kilned to certain specs that you wouldn't be able to buy because it is custom made for them?  I'm not saying that is the case, but it seems well within the realm of possibility.  So why bother try to make a close replica with some standard 'home brewer' malts (I'm just thinking of the normal catalog that you would see at an average homebrew shop) instead of just pulling some of the malt off the silo that you are making the stuff with in the factory? 

I guess I don't see the evil in it.  Does anyone say "Screw Williams Brewing for not telling me exactly what is in their English Stout Malt Extract!"?  If yes, I've never heard it.  NB/AB/INBEV/Satan is using the brands it has to cross sell across brands, it's not that weird.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/ENGLISH-STOUT-EXTRACT-33-LBS-P3491.aspx
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:08 pm »
  Does anyone say "Screw Williams Brewing for not telling me exactly what is in their English Stout Malt Extract!"?  https://www.williamsbrewing.com/ENGLISH-STOUT-EXTRACT-33-LBS-P3491.aspx

Not exactly the same, that's just malt extract that they are calling Stout Extract, but most Homebrew shops call it Dark extract.
John L.
---
Planning: Simcoe SMaSH
Bubbling:
Drinking: Saison, Amber Ale, APA, American Strong Ale

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 07:41:20 am »
This buyout thing doesn’t bother me yet. I stopped ordering from NB and Midwest years ago when they were bought out by an investment company and their customer service and speed of processing orders dropped.  I’ll be more concerned when they start trying to prevent other homebrew shops from selling kits similar to their beers or their homebrew kits...or if they become the exclusive stores for major homebrew products or brands.
Mark