Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mead Bottling, Curious about K-meta Dissipation Time  (Read 3080 times)

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Mead Bottling, Curious about K-meta Dissipation Time
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:14:20 am »
I have a Acerglyn (Maple Mead) that I helped a friend make to give to her brother for his wedding.  I am not sure on the OG but would guess it to be about 1.120.  Right now (4 or 5 months later) it's down to 1.012 and taste alright, if a little sweet.  I pulled a sample last evening with which I will work on figuring out a proper acid blend tonight.

The wedding is this weekend and it would be nice to be able to bottle it by then.  I am planning on adding some k-sorbate and k-metabisulfite, will 4 days be enough for the sulfates to dissipate?  I read 1-2 weeks typically but I imagine if I keep it at a higher temp (80F or so) this could happen a bit quicker.

Worst case scenario she can give him one bottle for the wedding and then the rest a week or two later...  It's meant to be drank a bottle an anniversary so no real rush for the remainder of the batch.

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Mead Bottling, Curious about K-meta Dissipation Time
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:53:30 am »
As I am looking around I am seeing 3-4 days as well http://www.winemakersdepot.com/Potassium-Metabisulfite-4-oz-P106.aspx, looks like I might be ok if I add it tonight ad then bottle it on Saturday.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:24:21 pm »
Why the sulfite addition?

Sorbistat I can understand.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 03:16:24 pm »
I thought I would only need to add the K-sorbate but it seems like everything I read people recommend adding both: K-sorbate to prevent the yeast from reproducing and K-meta to kill the yeast.  Also k-meta is supposed to help prevent oxidation.

I don't brew much wine/mead so I have very little experience with these, is this a internet misconception?  I just would like to prevent some yeast or bacteria becoming active in a couple of months and the bottles to start popping.

If I was a few points lower I wouldn't be so concerned, I just feel like based on what I have read 1.012 is a little bit high for the FG based on the recipe.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:08:49 pm by abraxas »

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 04:10:25 pm »
Also from: http://www.leeners.com/wine-about-sulfites.html

A final, but very important consideration is that if your customer insists on leaving out the sulfite from their wine kit, they must also leave out the sorbate.  Sulfite suppresses malolactic bacteria, but sorbate does not.  Without any sulfite to prevent malolactic fermentation, the bacteria will convert the sorbate into hexadienol, producing a stupendously horrible aroma of composting geraniums and rotting trout.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 12:56:01 pm »
Why the sulfite addition?

Sorbistat I can understand.

Drew,
Can you please elaborate?

I'm about to bottle my first mead & would like to know the best steps to use for lightly back-sweetening & bottling.