Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pectic enzyme - too late  (Read 7910 times)

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
Pectic enzyme - too late
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:22:54 pm »
I have some cider that's just about done fermenting.  Alas, I forgot to add pectic enzyme, so it's cloudy.  Is it too late to add it to the fermented cider?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pectic enzyme - too late
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »
How long has it been fermenting?  I've never added pectic enzyme and I've never had cloudy cider given enough time to settle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 07:20:25 am »
How long has it been fermenting?  I've never added pectic enzyme and I've never had cloudy cider given enough time to settle.
Really?  That's incredible.  I've got cider that's about 1.5 yrs old and it's still cloudy.

I've never added pectic enzyme, but I don't think there is a certain timeframe that it needs to be added at.  I would say it's still fine to add it now. 

$0.02 from a wannabe cidermaker

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:18:37 am »
Really?  That's incredible.  I've got cider that's about 1.5 yrs old and it's still cloudy.

All I can tell ya is that I do about a 4-8 week primary, then a few months in secondary and it's always crystal clear.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:46:54 am »
As long as you haven't 'set' the pectin in the juice by boillng it, you shouldn't need to add pectic enzyme at all...it WILL clear on  its own, as Denny points out.
The juice from which you're making the cider should never be boiled.  I've never used pectic enzyme, but  I believe that it is generally added at the beginning of fermentation...bujt again, never having used it myself, I can't be sure about that.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:39:39 am »
I've not boiled any of my ciders... and they're all still cloudy.  Interesting.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 12:09:35 pm »
Try fining it with Sparkalloid or Super-Kleer.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 12:41:15 pm »
I have some cider that's just about done fermenting.  Alas, I forgot to add pectic enzyme, so it's cloudy.  Is it too late to add it to the fermented cider?
Normally pectic enzyme is added before fermentation as alcohol interferes with the enzyme.  Whether or not it is too late depends on the specific pectic enzyme and the alcohol concentration.  I don't have any further information that would be helpful.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 12:56:07 pm »
I've not boiled any of my ciders... and they're all still cloudy.  Interesting.

This isn't necessarily a fault. Cloudiness can be desirable. English scrumpy is always cloudy, and it doesn't clear much over time.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/