Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Are some batches of yeast just duds?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
Are some batches of yeast just duds?
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:47:57 am »
For my previous batch of weissbier I pitched Wyeast 3068 from a starter.   I was all set for a huge krausen like I'd gotten in the past with this yeast.  It was a little slow to start, but fermented steadily to completion and made a good beer.   I saved the dregs in a couple of quart jars. 

I brewed another batch this past Friday.   I pulled the yeast slurry out of the fridge during the mash so I would warm up by pitching time.   I had about 10 oz of slurry and added a little of the wort from the chiller to stir it up, then pitched about 10 minutes later after finishing the chill and oxygenating.     Had another slow start-up and the beer's fermenting like the previous one did.   

Seems weird and wondering if I got a batch of lazy yeast. 
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Are some batches of yeast just duds?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:38:03 am »
Maybe, but I've hardly ever seen it happen.  Maybe something in your process of making a starter?  Dunno, just a WAG.  Also, I've read that letting the yeast warm up before p[itching means that it starts consuming it's nutrients before it gets into the wort, which is not a good situation.  For the last 15 years and several hundred batches I simply take it out of the fridge and pitch immediately.  Works great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Are some batches of yeast just duds?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:45:03 am »
Plenty of things can make the yeast less viable, which is why I always recommend starters for liquid yeast use (among other reasons). It could be old (check the date). It could have been left in the too-cold part ofd the fridge, or kept too warm for some time. A starter will mitigate these issues.