Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Uses for a corny that won't seal?  (Read 5534 times)

Offline Jkrehbielp

• Cellarman
Uses for a corny that won't seal?
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:29:21 am »
I now have two corny legs that won't seal at the main lid. I'm sure the metal of the keg is slightly bent, preventing the O-ring from seating. If I try to fix it, I'm bound to make it worse.

So what can I do with these kegs? Most of the things I can think of require a seal.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Uses for a corny that won't seal?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:08:54 pm »
I now have two corny legs that won't seal at the main lid. I'm sure the metal of the keg is slightly bent, preventing the O-ring from seating. If I try to fix it, I'm bound to make it worse.

So what can I do with these kegs? Most of the things I can think of require a seal.

Is the metal visibly bent, or is it just an assumption? I ask because I own lots of kegs and have swapped lids on most of them to find the combo that seals well. Things that help me get a good seal every time :

1.  Change all keg seals twice/year.

2.  Use a thin layer of keg lube every time on the lid seal.

3.  After kegging, hit the keg with 30 psi for a minute or so to firmly seat the lid, and then dial down the pressure to your carbing level.

4.  As mentioned, swapping lids can help.   
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:10:00 pm »

Is the metal visibly bent, or is it just an assumption? I ask because I own lots of kegs and have swapped lids on most of them to find the combo that seals well. Things that help me get a good seal every time :

3.  After kegging, hit the keg with 30 psi for a minute or so to firmly seat the lid, and then dial down the pressure to your carbing level.

+1 to all this Jon.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 02:36:43 pm »

I'd like to add to this list, if I may:

5. Sometimes simply reversing the lid so its facing backwards does the trick.

As for a bent keg lid area, I had one corny like that and I took a hammer to it using a block of wood as my "chisel" and was able to take out enough bend to get it sealing better.  It used to take like 15psi to form a seal and with enough hammering I can get a reliable seal as low as 8psi, which works for my since I'm usually floating around 9-12psi.  I started by laying a flat object on the lid seal area to determine where the highpoint or dip was, then started working on that area.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 03:31:14 pm »

Yep, meant to add that one, too !
Jon H.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:36:01 am »
I had a problem with a leaky keg a few years ago. I bought an oversized 0-ring for the lid, and that fixed the issue. I'm sure they're widely available, but here's one source:

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/OVERSIZE-KEG-LID-SEALING-O-RING-P58.aspx

Offline Jkrehbielp

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 02:52:51 pm »
I'll try that. Thanks.

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:54:53 pm »
I have one that doesn't seal, I use it for fermenting.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:58:40 am »
I had a problem with a leaky keg a few years ago. I bought an oversized 0-ring for the lid, and that fixed the issue. I'm sure they're widely available, but here's one source:

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/OVERSIZE-KEG-LID-SEALING-O-RING-P58.aspx

This +1. I just got an oversized one made of silicone. It's softer and bigger, it seals up a keg I have had problems with for quite some time.

Offline old.va.brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 09:21:55 am »

From experience of fixing hundreds of kegs in my time, there are many ways to fix them. If you are talking about the lid area only, I always start with a new lid seal and test the bale wire on the lid. It should snap down tight with no slack on a empty keg. The bale wire can be squeezed together ( I would put one side in a vise to squeeze them tighter together). If you can feel a bump or see a rise on the lid lip. Try this trick. Use a 12 or 15 inch adjustable wrench. Screw the wrench down over the bend and lift or lower easy a few times. The wide smooth face of the adjustable will be able to bend the lip slightly to pull out small bends and dings with out damaging the keg opening.
Good brewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:26:28 am »

A corny has a front and a back?  Is there a preferred direction to install the lid?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 10:36:06 am »

A corny has a front and a back?  Is there a preferred direction to install the lid?

There are few variations - some of mine have a lid that can only close in one direction (without hitting the carry handle). Others have lids that can be closed in either direction.
Jon H.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 10:47:36 am »

Good call!  Sorry, I forget most folks use ball lock.  Pin lock kegs, which I use, have a definite preferred direction for closing the lid since the posts are on one half of the lid (whereas on ball lock they are opposite each other).

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 11:58:11 am »

Good call!  Sorry, I forget most folks use ball lock.  Pin lock kegs, which I use, have a definite preferred direction for closing the lid since the posts are on one half of the lid (whereas on ball lock they are opposite each other).

Ah, got it.  Mine are all ball-lock.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 12:03:01 pm »

Ah, got it.  Mine are all ball-lock.

Mine are all ball lock too, but I have a few pretty old school ones with a single hard plastic carrry handle that only lets the lid close in one direction. I'll try to post a pic later.
Jon H.