Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Celleraring vs storage  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Celleraring vs storage
« on: March 15, 2017, 11:04:23 am »
I mostly brew brown ales, porters, and stouts with estimated ABV of 4.5 to 5.8. After two weeks or more of fermentation, I bottle the brew.

I have a fridge in the garage which I use to store the beer after carbonation.

Nearly all of my beer is consumed within 6 months and the bulk of it within three months after carbonation.

I know a lot of beer kept in cellars is stored at 45 F-55 F, but I could keep mine as low as 35 F stopping all yeast activity  if I chose to do so.

What is the best temp to hold the beer at?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Celleraring vs storage
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:13:29 am »
Colder is better. All chemical reactions slow as the temp drops. No need to cellar If your beers are will not benefit from it.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 05:40:37 am »
Colder is better. All chemical reactions slow as the temp drops. No need to cellar If your beers are will not benefit from it.

I've always gone with the colder the better.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:26:28 am »
Absolutely agree with the above: Colder is better. A lot of the hype we see over DO here on the forum is simply overblown. If you can keep your beer cold you will extend the shelf life drastically and the colder the better up until the freezing point.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 02:42:01 pm »
I agree that colder is better for added stability.  As for dissolved oxygen in homebrewing, you may also say that it's been largely overlooked, understated, and/or unattainable all of these years.  I have certainly benefited in beer stability from using low oxygen brewing methods - my own personal sensory analysis has been proving this glass by glass by glass :D

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:05:32 pm »
I believe the recommended temp for cellaring (not refrigerating) beer is 50 - 55F.  I converted a basement room into a wine/beer cellar and keep it at 51F in cold winter, 57F in hot summer, and 55F the rest of the time and it cellars beer just fine.  I also make wine.

That said, AFAIK most beers suitable for cellaring are +6% ABV, give or take.  I also recommend oxygen scavaging caps for cellared beers.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:16:49 pm by brewsumore »