Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP030 Thames Ale Yeast  (Read 2246 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
WLP030 Thames Ale Yeast
« on: March 15, 2017, 11:51:08 am »
     So last year, I pre-ordered this strain from The Vault, and it is now in production. Delivery is said to be late March to early April. I plan on starting with an ordinary bitter similar to one I made a couple years ago essentially as a smallish starter batch to pitch to Drew's "The Queen's Diamonds" EBW, from Experimental Homebrewing.
     So my first batch is planned for the second week of April. Who has used this yeast, if anyone? What did you make with it, what did you like about it? Mark seemed to be pretty high on this strain back in the day, so I am excited to use it, just looking for suggestions. I have not made many English brews beyond the 2 mentioned above, so what recipes do you all have for something like this?
     From The vault, "Banked back in 2001. Very flocculant strain great for all things English. Great for porters, stouts, ESBs. Lower ester production than most English strains but creates a bigger mouthfeel than most cleaner strains." High flocculation, attenuation from 72%-78%, no temp ranges given. I have emailed them about temps, but that was just a short while ago, no response yet.
     Looking at starting the ordinary bitter with a 60 minute mash at 154°, targeting the top end of the range around 1.039, 28 IBUs from Target, Northdown, and Challenger, dry hopped with EKG. Simple grist of 93.6% Crisp MO and 4.4% C120 (same grist as my previous bitter that turned out to be much higher in OG than planned due to greater than expected efficiency on such a small beer, but a great beer in the end!) That recipe came from someone on here, but I cannot remember who, so I can't give any credit for it, but thanks again.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: WLP030 Thames Ale Yeast
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 04:22:00 pm »
I am also getting a vial of this yeast. I am thinking I will use it for a porter or an ESB. I am also interested in in people's experience with this yeast. Thanks.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 02:05:11 pm »
Just a quick bump. Does anyone have thoughts on this strain?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:26:12 pm »
Just a quick bump. Does anyone have thoughts on this strain?

I wish I had something for you but I have a feeling you may be one of the first few folks still around on homebrew forums that will have the ability to share your experience with this strain.  I'm sure mark could share some info on it, but I haven't seen any posts from him on here in quite a while.  I look forward to your impressions when you finally have a chance to use it.  Keep us posted.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 02:34:58 pm »
Will do.

Frank L.