Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temperature considerations for storing grain?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Temperature considerations for storing grain?
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:27:15 pm »
I use about 80-100 lbs, of base malts/ year.  I don't have room to store it inside my house, but I could store a 50 lb. bag of uncrushed base malt in one of the large 60 lb. pet food containers in my garage.  That would expose the grain to a potential temp swing of -20 F to 107 F.  How would that affect the grain?

I think farmers and shippers store their grain under those conditions before it comes to us.

Comments please and thanks in advance for your advice. 
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Temperature considerations for storing grain?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:39:10 pm »
The biggest problem I think would be humidity.  My garage is super humid.  When it warms up outside, I have condensation on the cold slab.  I kept a car in there all winter (on blocks) and pretty much everything rusted up on the rotors and undercarriage.

In the summer, it's like an oven.

Plus, mice.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:45:40 pm »
I see recommendations of dry and cool-moderate temperatures.  BYO says 50-70°F and Briess says <90°F.

Maybe you buy a bag in the spring and a bag in the fall, and try to avoid storing through the winter and summer.  The extremes you mentioned sound like they have the potential to degrade malt quality over a period of time.

This is just some information I found, and my interpretations of the information. Nothing concrete here.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:34 pm »
I have stored grain in hot warhouse conditions for months, sealed, with no problems with friability of flavor. Some malts stored sealed through 2 Alabama summers and still in great condition.

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 12:32:22 pm »
My home brew store (WeakKnee in Pottsgrove, PA) vacuum seals the grain for me in a large oxygen-blocking bag.  I store it in a closet in my basement that seems to be pretty much a constant 60F (winter) - 70F (summer).  I let one bag "out of the closet" after 7 months and it smelled fresh as when Brendon crushed it. The resulting beer (Irish Red Ale) was excellent.  I agree with many of the previous posts that moisture is what will be harmful to long-term storage.  You absolutely do not want mold formation due to excess moisture.
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale