Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: False Bottom Question  (Read 3521 times)

Offline abndrew82

• 1st Kit
False Bottom Question
« on: March 19, 2017, 12:50:01 pm »
Got a False bottom to replace the Screen filter I had for my Mashtun for Xmas.  Installed it and tried to use for first time today, and I must have had or did something wrong.  It is a domed one and had it in with the curve so the room was under it.  Figured the point from reading was grain would stay on top of it and wort goes through the little hole and then up through the piece / hose and out Spigot. 

Went to Vorlauf and was coming out of the spigot.  Had to empty the Mash into a pot to see what was happening, and found that the grains had went through and the hose from the False bottom to the Spigot was clogged with grains, so wort was not coming through, so took it out and put screen back in to complete brew day.  But now to figure out what was wrong or if I had it installed wrong that made it clog with Grains, as I really want to use this over the screen.

Thanks for any information.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: False Bottom Question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:29:39 pm »
I too recently switched from a mesh braid to a false bottom, and ended up pulling a lot of grain bits into the boil the first time I brewed with it.

Several on here suggesting starting with a very slow runoff to set the grain bed, as opposed to opening the valve wide open to start the runoff on the braid I used to use. I haven't brewed again to try this, but I think this will fix the issue. Seems an overall slower run off is required compared to a mesh/braid.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 04:20:01 pm »
I've never had a screen, always used a false bottom.  I always had to recirculate about 2 gallons of wort to get things running clear and 'bit free'.  I have since started putting a nylon grain bag over my false bottom (I just wrap it over it and put the extra bag material below the false bottom).  Using that like a filter, I almost don't need to recirculate at all.  I guess that is kind of half way between hose screen and false bottom, but I needed to reduce the recirculation to hopefully reduce oxygen pickup.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Stepp2

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:18:51 pm »
I too have used both a bazooka and domed false bottom. I agree w Phil. Vorlof and runoff needs to be slow and consistent. If you're able to do that you'll have better results and not clog your runoff tube. If grains do get in your tube and it sticks try reversing flow  and slowing down. The grains will slowly clear with a long vorlof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VictorBrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:30:11 pm »
Went to Vorlauf and was coming out of the spigot.  Had to empty the Mash into a pot to see what was happening, and found that the grains had went through and the hose from the False bottom to the Spigot was clogged with grains, so wort was not coming through, so took it out and put screen back in to complete brew day.  But now to figure out what was wrong or if I had it installed wrong that made it clog with Grains, as I really want to use this over the screen.

Thanks for any information.

What is the size (ID) of your fitting and hose that lead to the domed false bottom?  In most cases the grain is actually coming in under the dome and not through the holes.  If your 90° fitting and hose are too small, it will not clear that grain.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:20:38 am by VictorBrew »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 01:48:29 pm »
Sounds like the run off was just a bit too quick.  If the grain bed doesn't get set, my experience is that the false bottom will suck grain through occasionally with a fast run off.  I never had that problem with a cooler and braid arrangement, but I wanted to be able to step mash by direct fire and went away from the cooler quite a while back.  Now I am pretty much an electric BIAB guy, but I occasionally go back to the propane burner set up and I try to run it off clear by vorlaufing and I have also used a nylon BIAB as an extra filter (suspending it off the bottom with a colander or similar item).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 12:44:25 pm »
I too am using a false bottom for the first time. I have an Anvil kettle I'm using as a mash tun and was wondering if it would be overkill to use a kettle screen under the false bottom or if my dip tube is the way to go. I've gotten the newer version of the false bottom and it fits really tight.
Love to hear input from the fearless false bottom users.
thanks
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline VictorBrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 01:15:30 pm »
I too am using a false bottom for the first time. I have an Anvil kettle I'm using as a mash tun and was wondering if it would be overkill to use a kettle screen under the false bottom or if my dip tube is the way to go. I've gotten the newer version of the false bottom and it fits really tight.
Love to hear input from the fearless false bottom users.
thanks
Using a screen (braid, bazooka, etc) under your false bottom, often sounds appealing at first glance.  However, what often happens is that the fine particles that get through your false bottom, often end up plugging up the braid.  So your intent toward improvement ends up causing issues that you did not have before.  The reason a braid alone works so well is that the larger husk material act as a filter bed around it, which never lets the really fine particles plug it up.   Stick with your dip tube under the FB or a stand alone braid, but not both.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 04:49:59 pm »
Excellent, thanks for the advice!
Corripe Cervisiam