Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Matured Beers  (Read 2903 times)

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
Re: Matured Beers
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 01:08:51 pm »
If you bottle you only really need to wait until the beer is carbonated and then it's usually good to go. However, the time it takes to carbonate can vary. My bottles are usually ready at 3 weeks but a recent batch with the lager yeast w34/70 took 8 weeks to carbonate. I think the yeast had become dormant and took a long time to chew its way through the priming sugar.

If you force carbonate in a keg, you can drink the beer sooner, pretty much immediately if it's clear.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Matured Beers
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 03:41:31 pm »
I've never waited to drink any beer I've made. My current Triple was fantastic at a month. I think bottle conditioned beers age way better. I also think, depending on ones ability to keep O2 out, makes a huge difference in aging. I'm struggling with beers that age in the keg. No matter how hard I try to purge everything well, kegs do not compare. Some beers may improve or change w age.  I've never poured a fresh beer and said it sucked because of being fresh. I agree that lagers do improve. Lagers at 3 months are way better than at 4 weeks. So yes, It Depends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B