Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mandarina and hallertau mittlefruh  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
mandarina and hallertau mittlefruh
« on: April 07, 2017, 11:17:57 am »
Planning a dry hopped pilsner with these two; neither of which I have used.

My question is what ratio would you use these guys for flavor and aroma additions to get equal contributions? From what I can tell Mandarina has about twice as much oil as HM. 2:1 HM to Mandarina?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: mandarina and hallertau mittlefruh
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:51:23 am »
Neither of those hops is assertive like an American ale hop would be. Mandarina isn't Citra level fruity - it has floral, spicy character like Hallertau but with a subtle mandarin orange/citrusy character. Personally, I'd blend 50/50. Sounds good! 
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:52:57 am »
Neither of those hops is assertive like an American ale hop would be. Mandarina isn't Citra level fruity - it has floral, spicy character like Hallertau but with a subtle mandarin orange/citrusy character. Personally, I'd blend 50/50. Sounds good!

Thanks Jon. My recipe was initially designed to go 50/50 but thought I would check with the good folks here.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:32:57 pm »

my experience with mandarina has been that it tastes pretty darn American even though its german. reminds me of cascade with more generic citrus than grapefruit.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 01:43:53 pm »

my experience with mandarina has been that it tastes pretty darn American even though its german. reminds me of cascade with more generic citrus than grapefruit.

It definitely has American citrus character for sure, along with Hallertau character (at least the lb I bought did). I just meant that it's not overly assertive or fruity like some ale varieties. I've used it 50/50 with Mittelfrueh and liked the results.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 05:19:22 am »
I brew a "Hop Lager" with Mandarina and tettnanger and if you use enough Mandarina can be plenty assertive. Hallertauer would also be a nice hop to blend in. I don't have the recipe in front of me but IIRC I use about a 2:1 Mandarina to Tettnanger all flame out and dry hop.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 10:35:17 am »
I use Mandarina in my Saison. It has Perl, Mandarina, and Amarillo. I bet w Hallertau it would be good. I really like what Mandarina brings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B