Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Denny's Golden Monkey Homage  (Read 5037 times)

Offline Bitter Alchemist

• 1st Kit
Denny's Golden Monkey Homage
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:02:29 pm »
I found a thread on this recipe from 2011. Just wondering if anyone else has attempted this and how close they got to the real thing.  Golden Monkey is one of my favorite commercial beers.

Denny's Golden Monkey Homage

12.5 lb. pils malt
0.5 lb. flaked barley
6 oz. Belgian aromatic malt
4 oz. Belgian biscuit malt
1.5 lb. cane or beet sugar
0.7 oz. Horizon 13% 60 min.
0.3 oz. French Strisselspalt pellets 4% 10 min.
0.5 oz. freshly ground coriander 5 min.
Wyeast #3522 Ardennes yeast

Mash at 150F
OG ~ 1.080

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Denny's Golden Monkey Homage
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:08:34 am »
I just kinda stumbled on that recipe by accident.  I was jist trying to make something interesting.  When I tasted it, itmwas remarkably close t Golden Monkey, one of my favorite beers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bitter Alchemist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 10:20:13 am »
Thanks Denny!

To me Golden Monkey is more on the side of sweet and less on the side of sour, unlike the classic Belgian Tripels I have tried.  I know this is seen as a "flaw," but I happen to love it. Does your grain bill and yeast combination provide this flavor profile?

I also like the fact that Golden Monkey is a bit "spicy."  I'm guessing the yeast and coriander should provide this?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 10:33:54 am »
Thanks Denny!

To me Golden Monkey is more on the side of sweet and less on the side of sour, unlike the classic Belgian Tripels I have tried.  I know this is seen as a "flaw," but I happen to love it. Does your grain bill and yeast combination provide this flavor profile?

I also like the fact that Golden Monkey is a bit "spicy."  I'm guessing the yeast and coriander should provide this?

Wow, I've made and drunk a lot of tripels and never thought of them as sour!  Do you Westmalle to taste like that?

At any rate, the aromatic and biscuit malt, in conjunction with the yeast, provide that sweetness.  The yeast and coriander take care of the spiciness with the coriander providing a bit of citrus also.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bitter Alchemist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:44:57 am »
Thanks Denny!

Wow, I've made and drunk a lot of tripels and never thought of them as sour!  Do you Westmalle to taste like that?

At any rate, the aromatic and biscuit malt, in conjunction with the yeast, provide that sweetness.  The yeast and coriander take care of the spiciness with the coriander providing a bit of citrus also.

Haven't had Westmalle in a while. I currently have Tripel Karmeliet and I find it slightly "tart."  Maybe my taste is off, but it definitely doesn't have the perceived sweetness that I get with Golden Monkey. I will look for Westmalle to refresh my memory.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 12:41:02 pm »
I don't get "tart" from Karmeliet.  But I do think Golden Monkey has more body maybe than a lot of classic tripels.  Maybe that's giving it the sweetness?

I brew this recipe annually, but I call it Golden Boy in homage to my son.  His birthday is coming up, so it will be in rotation soon.

I don't recall doing a side-by-side but this is a solid recipe.  I recommend it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:00:11 pm »
I don't get "tart" from Karmeliet.  But I do think Golden Monkey has more body maybe than a lot of classic tripels.  Maybe that's giving it the sweetness?

I agree on both counts. A lot of the classic tripels are a little drier than Golden Monkey, but I don't get tart. Karmeliet is pretty sublime IMO.
Jon H.

Offline Bitter Alchemist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 05:45:18 pm »

I brew this recipe annually, but I call it Golden Boy in homage to my son.  His birthday is coming up, so it will be in rotation soon.

I don't recall doing a side-by-side but this is a solid recipe.  I recommend it.

Joe do you follow Denny's recipe exactly as is?  Any advice on mash and fermentation schedule?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »
I did the first time.  I've probably deviated a bit over the years based on what I've had available, but the goal is to stick to the recipe.

I mash low.  148 or so.  All sugars go in the kettle.  I've never fermented this one with temp controller.  Oxygenate, pitch, let er ride.  Ambient in my basement is mid 60s.

A good pitch of yeast and good oxygenation is key.

You probably found my thread from 2011.  Many thanks to Denny for being a resource on this (and many other) recipes.  He's solid.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 10:11:39 am »
When I saw the topic, "Denny's Golden Monkey", I thought it was a thread about Drew.  ;)
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 10:18:38 am »
When I saw the topic, "Denny's Golden Monkey", I thought it was a thread about Drew.  ;)

I LOVE that!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 09:33:01 am »

I LOVE that!

I wonder how Drew feels about it. Should I be watching my back?  ;D
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 11:49:37 pm »
When I saw it my first thought was Denny dressed up like Mike Myers in those stupid old SNL 'Sprockets' skits

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 01:52:45 pm »
I just had my first sip of the GMonk, absolutely luscious.  I thought my Triple was pretty stellar. I will now tuck my tail and head under my rock! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline NickersonC

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 07:14:17 pm »
Quick opinion-based question: I haven't yet dived (dove?) into Belgian-style brewing, but is it common to omit candi sugar in Tripels vs. Dubbels or Belgian strongs?
Fermenting: Bananas Foster ale
Jester King Funk Metal 'inspired clone'
Mixed ferm imperial red-brown sour
Rum barrel Imperial Stout, in barrel from Little Water Distillery

Bottled: Oaked porter
Hoppy black kettle sour
Berliner
NEIPA (Amarillo, mosaic, galaxy)

Kegged: NEIPA (Amarillo, mosaic, galaxy)