Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Denny's Golden Monkey Homage  (Read 5094 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Denny's Golden Monkey Homage
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 06:10:47 am »
I'm interested in this brew as well, may have to try out the recipe at some point in near future

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 09:45:57 am »
Quick opinion-based question: I haven't yet dived (dove?) into Belgian-style brewing, but is it common to omit candi sugar in Tripels vs. Dubbels or Belgian strongs?

Nope.  IMO, some sort of sugar is a must for all of those.  For lighter beers, I use table sugar.  For darker ones, I use candi syrup.  I never use candi sugar.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 10:29:09 am »
Quick opinion-based question: I haven't yet dived (dove?) into Belgian-style brewing, but is it common to omit candi sugar in Tripels vs. Dubbels or Belgian strongs?

Nope.  IMO, some sort of sugar is a must for all of those.  For lighter beers, I use table sugar.  For darker ones, I use candi syrup.  I never use candi sugar.

Totally agree, Denny. I use table sugar for tripel, syrup for the darker ones. No candi sugar.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 10:34:33 am »
I used the candy sugar back in the early/mid90s but have not used it since the syrup products have become available.

Other than table sugar, you can also have some fun experimenting with demarara, sucanat, jaggery, etc.  Each one will lend something a little bit different but many of those differences are very subtle so you might only notice them in a blonde or tripel.

I use table sugar in many beers, but I brew a lot of high OG beers.  When you've got a big beer, sugar is very helpful in hitting a good final gravity and having a beer that's quaffable.  Not that I'm quaffing a lot of 10% stouts, but I like to think I could.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline NickersonC

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 02:38:31 pm »

Mm gotcha. Like I said, I'm not accustomed to Belgian styles, so at the time I wasn't differentiating between candi 'sugar' or 'syrup' in my head. Either way you answered the question I intended to ask about using sugar not of the 'candi' variety at times.
Fermenting: Bananas Foster ale
Jester King Funk Metal 'inspired clone'
Mixed ferm imperial red-brown sour
Rum barrel Imperial Stout, in barrel from Little Water Distillery

Bottled: Oaked porter
Hoppy black kettle sour
Berliner
NEIPA (Amarillo, mosaic, galaxy)

Kegged: NEIPA (Amarillo, mosaic, galaxy)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 02:54:56 pm »
I use a mix of honey and sugar in mine. Making one w/o the sugar would make it finish too sweet. Sweet and the Belgian yeast character would be undrinkable IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B