Author Topic: New Here!  (Read 1151 times)

Offline mburke36

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
New Here!
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:53:29 PM »
Hi All! My name is Mike and I live in Philadelphia. I've been a big craft beer drinker for a while (Untappd fanatic - @mjb96) and I'm looking to start getting into home brewing very soon. I signed up to be a member of AHA in the beginning of the year and love it. However, I wanted to see what other resources everyone recommends (websites, books, etc.) for me to accelerate my learning.

I'm definitely interested in diving much deeper into the process, ingredients, and getting started with some of my own experiments. I'm also very interested in trying to learn how to taste (signed up for a local class in a few weeks).

Any recommendations are welcome! Looking forward to interacting with everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: New Here!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »
Hi Mike!  Welcome!  For a beginning brewer, I can't think of a better book than John Palmer's "How to Brew".  You might also enjoy my book " Homebrew All Stars"
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mburke36

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 08:17:13 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations, Denny. Been listening to your podcast for a few months. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EnkAMania

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:35:04 AM »
I like Brewing Classic Styles, explains the different beers and has recipes to try.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline theDarkSide

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:41:11 AM »
I like Brewing Classic Styles, explains the different beers and has recipes to try.

Agree on all the suggestions above.  I've won medals with some of the recipes from Brewing Classic Styles. 
BNArmy CLUB Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 08:07:07 PM »
Hey Mike, I'm in Cincinnati, OH.   Pick up a copy of "how to brew" but dont go too far into it... yet.  All the reading in the world won't help if you aren't brewing - practical application matters just as much as research.  There is a balance.  Visit a local homebrew shop.  Pick up a kit.  Give it a go.  My $0.02. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Brew'n w Kopper Kat

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 04:11:45 AM »
There is a balance.  Visit a local homebrew shop.  Pick up a kit.  Give it a go.  My $0.02. 
Agreed! 

I'm also very interested in trying to learn how to taste (signed up for a local class in a few weeks).
Tasting Beer (Mosher) and Complete Beer Course (Bernstein) are two often recommended books.

Any recommendations are welcome!
For your 1st couple of batches, brew with another person. This way, at the end of every brewing session, you can relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew. 

Offline BrewBama

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 05:21:09 AM »
Welcome aboard. One of my favorite places to eat and drink in Philly is Dock Street. Go have a beer pulled from the beer engine and strike up a conversation. You'd be surprised at what you'll learn. Brewers want to help Brewers. It's a pretty cool thing. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Huntsville AL