Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Hoping for feedback so I can add features on my app for homebrewers  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Brewswap

• 1st Kit
Hey guys, so I released an app called Brewswap recently into the Apple App Store (Android version will be completed by end of year). It's a craft beer trade app where users swipe left and right on for trade photos from across the country and match up accordingly.

I reached out to several users and asked if they would like to swipe on homebrewers offers as well and every user I asked said yes. So I am trying to get feedback from the homebrewing community to better understand how I can improve upon the experience for homebrewers.

Initially we plan to "verify" homebrewer accounts similar to what Twitter does, so that all homebrewers will have a badge of sorts and be able to be identified. We'll also be adding a feature that shows nearby users so homebrewers can see other local homebrewers and users and meet up for shares etc. 

I know there's been data that suggests homebrewing is on the decline and I read feedback that suggests a lot of homebrewers find they have too much beer to consume just by themselves, i figured maybe this could be another benefit as you could meet up with other users and/or just get your name out there to other users who may like your batches and want them on a consistent basis.

What do you guys think? What would you like to see me include to improve your experience? 

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
Re: Hoping for feedback so I can add features on my app for homebrewers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 03:37:47 pm »
I know there's been data that suggests homebrewing is on the decline and I read feedback that suggests a lot of homebrewers find they have too much beer to consume just by themselves, i figured maybe this could be another benefit as you could meet up with other users and/or just get your name out there to other users who may like your batches and want them on a consistent basis.

Not sure I understand the premise behind this.  Homebrewers who have too much beer on hand, are going to swap their homebrew with someone else for more beer?

I'd also be concerned, as a homebrewing user, that if I trade my homebrews with strangers for commercial beers, some local revenuer with nothing better to do could accuse me of selling my homebrew.  I might be paranoid, but I'm paid to be that way for a living.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline BrewHalla

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 05:25:22 pm »
You may want to check legalities. In georgia the laws are strict. Home brew can only be drunk on the premises it was brewed. It is illegal to transport unless specifically marked for competition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Brewswap

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 07:53:47 am »
Thanks for the feedback! A few things:
-with regard to acquiring more beer for more beer, well..yes. if a homebrewing user ends up brewing a specific style and more than they want to consume of it on their own, they can swipe on different styles or different takes of the same style and compare. its not about having "more beer" it's about more variety and interacting with fellow homebrewers in a way that provides users with the ability to sample each others accomplishments
-the app will have a feature showing you nearby homebrewers and regular users that you can swipe on and meet up with giving a user the opp to set up shares or whatever they prefer if one wouldn't want to trade.

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 07:32:21 pm »
I like the idea. One thing I don't like about brewing is the fact that I can't drink all that I make. I would love to swap with fellow brewers in my area. I don't want to get into shipping beer but exchanging with other local brewers would be great.

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 01:58:44 pm »
I like the idea. One thing I don't like about brewing is the fact that I can't drink all that I make. I would love to swap with fellow brewers in my area. I don't want to get into shipping beer but exchanging with other local brewers would be great.

I am the only one in my house that drinks beer, so I cannot possibly drink all that I make.  I share, give away, and gift a lot of homebrew.  Parties and TV sporting events are a great way to reduce the inventory!

Another thing I have been doing is brewing partial batches, either 1 gallon or 2.5 gallons. This allows me try a bunch of different recipes and in some cases, I will split a 5 gallon batch and do 5 "things" to it (different dry hops, bourbon oak infusions, etc.)  It gives me the chance to experiment and enjoy my hobby without creating a huge store of home brew or requiring ever-increasing purchases of kegs and bottles.
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 02:08:40 pm »
I don't want to get into shipping beer but exchanging with other local brewers would be great.

I have been taking a beer (or two) to my LHBS so that the brew master there can grade my beer.  That is something that he enjoys doing, since he just got his beer judging credentials.  He is tough, but I have learned a lot from him, and even have brewed several he thinks would do well in competitions.  (I am not so sure I want to head down that path, though!)

In exchange for sharing some of my brews, he often gives me one out of his store fridge that other local home brewers have brought in.  At first, I thought he was trying to get rid of skunky brews, but now I realize he throws those out!  I had a beer/cider hydrid last week that he gave me, and it was fantastic. 

The store always has 4 brews on tap that are free for the sampling as you shop.  I have found a couple that i really liked and ended up buying the ingredients to make it.   

These are all great ways of "sharing" without doing anything as formal as an app or a beer swap club.
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale