Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt base for an orange hue  (Read 11007 times)

Online Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Malt base for an orange hue
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 11:59:47 am »
Assuming you are brewing 5 gallon batches, try adding a pound of caravienne to your base malt mix.

My last hoppy lager was predominantly pilsner with some munich, vienna, and a tad of caravienne. It was pretty on the border of gold/orange and some more caravienne would have gotten it there for sure...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 05:14:44 am »
I think I may try the caravienne, any idea on grist %? I am thinking maybe 1 oz of chocolate for some reddish hues and a small % of caravienne could get me the color and not drastically change the base of this beer. maybe sub out a pound of 2 row for the caravienne? It would look something like this

70% 2 row brewers malt Briess (1.8L)
20% White wheat
10% Caravienne

How close is caravienne to cystal malts? I am finding lately I really don't care for them except for in certain English styles, just too much raisin for me. I am hoping the caravienne stays out of the way?

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 05:21:40 am »
While looking at the caravienne profile from briess (both my locals carry mostly briess) I noticed Caracrystal wheat. They specifically call it out for it's orange hues, and this is already a 20% wheat IPA. Anyone ever tried this malt?

Offline Gino

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 06:14:49 am »
Great western pale malt 3l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 07:21:40 am »
I think I may try the caravienne, any idea on grist %? I am thinking maybe 1 oz of chocolate for some reddish hues and a small % of caravienne could get me the color and not drastically change the base of this beer. maybe sub out a pound of 2 row for the caravienne? It would look something like this

70% 2 row brewers malt Briess (1.8L)
20% White wheat
10% Caravienne

How close is caravienne to cystal malts? I am finding lately I really don't care for them except for in certain English styles, just too much raisin for me. I am hoping the caravienne stays out of the way?

Caravienne is a crystal malt. ~20L depending on the maltster. Some I have found to impart very little sweetness. Others, Cararuby specifically, is sweeter than most and is too sweet for my tastes at 1/2#/5 gallons.

I'll reiterate my recommendation for 1/2# or ~3-4% of Baird's C55 and tiny amounts of midnight wheat if you want to tweak it darker.

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 08:52:10 am »
2 row and light carastan works for me.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 10:19:13 am »
That's a great looking brew

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 11:18:37 am »
That's a great looking brew

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Totally agree and very much what I am looking for. I like the color and would probably just clarify to get it super bright. Great Beer!