Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Over-spiced beer  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Me

• Cellarman
Over-spiced beer
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:00:23 pm »
So I attempted to brew a nice holiday beer spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg to bring cheer and merriment to all. Well now its July and its sitting in my kitchen because it tastes like cinnamon-- only cinnamon. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas to use this beer for something more productive. Anything baking, pest control, prank ideas... I'm trying to find something else to do with it besides spice up my kitchen drain.
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Over-spiced beer
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:07:22 pm »
Lose the bottles for a little while longer. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:18:35 am »
Like Drew said.

If that doesn't work, rebrew the beer using no/minimal cinnamon. Blend your old batch with your new batch in secondary (taking care not to expose your beer to oxygen). Rebottle. Wait.

Alternately, brew something different and blend. You can experiment by adding different amounts of a bottle of your cinna-beer to a glass of your other beers to get an idea of how a particular blend might work.

If that doesn't work, you've got the base for barbecue sauce or Cincinnati chili.

If that doesn't work, there are means of removing the cinnamon via "recursive condensation," which might not be legal in your country, state or municipality.

Anyhow, it ain't sink food just yet.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:14:00 am »
Subsitute the beer for all or some of the water in a fruit (raisin, apple) bread, or use it to make a pie.

Alternatively, you could try blending with something else to take the edge off the cinnamon.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/