Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boulevard Brewing Rye-on-Rye Clone  (Read 2543 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Boulevard Brewing Rye-on-Rye Clone
« on: January 13, 2016, 12:18:42 pm »
Had this beer a while back and I thought it was amazing. I want to do something similar so browsing around the web I found this email from the brewery posted:

Malt:
Pale Malt – 68%
Malted Rye – 10%
Munich Malt – 5%
Cara 50 – 11%
Crystal Rye – 7%

Mash Schedule:
47 C – 10 minutes
63 C – 30 minutes
73 C – 15 minutes
Mash off at 78 C

We target a beginning of boil gravity of 16.3 Plato and reach 22.0 at the end of our 70 minute boil. 5.2 degrees Plato is added with equal amounts of dextrose and brown sugar added midway through the boil.

Hops:
Magnum – 18.3 IBU at 98 C
Citra – 10.5 IBU at 10 minutes after beginning of boil
Styrian Golding – 9.5 IBU at 5 minutes before end of boil
Ahtanum – 2.2 IBU during whirlpooling

We cool the wort to 19 C and ferment with our house Scottish ale strain at 19 C until we reach 6 Plato. At this point, we temp up to 23 C for the remainder of fermentation. We target a final gravity of 3.2.

Finished beer is transferred into freshly emptied Templeton Rye barrels for aging. Following aging, we blend in a percentage of fresh beer to taste to preserve body and temper the whiskey/oak character.

I am stoked to brew it but I have a few questions. What yeast strain would be a good start WLP028? Also I don't have access to barrels so I plan on just adding oak cubes soaked in a bottle of Templeton Rye Whiskey. I haven't brewed with Rye before or oak cubes so any insight/ feedback would be awesome.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Drives-a-bike

• 1st Kit
Re: Boulevard Brewing Rye-on-Rye Clone
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:35:12 am »
How did this turn out?  I'm making my own pseudo version of this today.
"good people drink good beer" -Hunter S. Thompson