Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Questions on KettleRIMS build  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
Questions on KettleRIMS build
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:49:44 am »
Decided to build a two vessel system as I have kettles, ball valves..etc to use and am handy with a welder to fashion a cart to my needs.  Have a few questions.  First of all is temp control.  I only have 120 and was going to get the BoilCoil (5 gallon batches only).  Units such as EZBoil would fit the bill?  I can't find much into on what a PID or SSR is or what, and prefer not to build an electronic box itself.  In contrast to Blichmann I'd put the temp for MT/LT at the output of the kettle rather than the pump.  Also, is there some type of a float switch that will turn off the pump if the BK is about to run dry?  I think Blichmann has one but can't find one and how to integrate it.  Any help on the electronic end is appreciated.  I would like to be able to mash, boil, step up temps.  Would prefer to program it but manual is fine too if it's a difference of many hundreds of dollars. 

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Questions on KettleRIMS build
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:06:15 am »
Don't let PID's and SSR's scare you. They are actually pretty simple. I incorporated two of them in my electric build. I bought a couple Cinese ones off Amazon. They had good ratings, so I went for it. so far, so good.
 As far as not dry firing, look into these.

http://www.rectorseal.com/?s=ss700e

I have one on each of my kettles just above the element.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 08:25:53 am »
Don't let PID's and SSR's scare you. They are actually pretty simple. I incorporated two of them in my electric build. I bought a couple Cinese ones off Amazon. They had good ratings, so I went for it. so far, so good.
 As far as not dry firing, look into these.

http://www.rectorseal.com/?s=ss700e

I have one on each of my kettles just above the element.

Thank you very much, I'll look into that!  I've just downloaded the electricbrewery book.  Even though I'm not doing a three vessel build I should be able to get some information out of it to help me.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:04:18 am »
I did the same thing. I studied it over and applied it best to my situation. I came up with this. It's a two vessel system with a 52 qt cooler mash tun. Not RIMS or HERMS. Maybe someday, but not for now. Mine is 120v as of now. I will be putting in a 50amp 220v circuit this summer. I built it with this is mind, so it will just be a matter of changing the pigtail, and swapping a couple wires around in the panel and throwing the 220v elements in. Half of work, tops. You can see the temporary wet switches sitting in the shot glass for a test run. They have since been moved to my kettles.

A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline 28th Street

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 01:23:48 pm »
I would suggest building a box - whether or not you are running 120V or 208V, the safe approach is to make a box (and don't forget to ground the box too).

I built a HERMS setup based on www.theelectricbrewery.com and couldn't be happier.

Check out Auber Instrument at http://www.auberins.com - they have pre-punched boxes, PIDs, SSRs and RTD sensors whether you're running a HERMS or RIMS set up.

I would go with the chugger pump instead of March too.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:40:55 pm »
I would suggest building a box - whether or not you are running 120V or 208V, the safe approach is to make a box (and don't forget to ground the box too).

I built a HERMS setup based on www.theelectricbrewery.com and couldn't be happier.

Check out Auber Instrument at http://www.auberins.com - they have pre-punched boxes, PIDs, SSRs and RTD sensors whether you're running a HERMS or RIMS set up.

I would go with the chugger pump instead of March too.

Thank you.  I intended to enclose it and attach it to my stand (which will have locking casters).  I'm just starting the electronics part in his book, if I get confused you can bet I'll be firing off questions on here.