Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is my BIAB approach faulty?  (Read 3884 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Is my BIAB approach faulty?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 11:59:57 am »
Disregard, all is well nothing to see...

I hope it all gets worked out for you.  I for one do not think you squeezing the bag will cause any issues with fresh beer.  If anything I would guess that you could have poor conversion leaving unfermentable wort that can cause off flavors rather quickly with light or oxygen.  Quick question I didn't see it yet, what is your bottling process like? You're not pouring out of the fermentation vessel you're siphoning correct?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:04:58 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 12:12:02 pm »
Having described my process, now I'm confused as to what I choose as my mash profile in Beersmith.  I do sparge, so the BIAB profile with full mash volume may be wrong?  Cripes...
I think the best starting point is putting your equipment in BS.   Start with the equipment wizard or modify the 3 gal pot set up for batch sparging or full volume mashing.  Either way you should be alright.  The mash profiles only help get you to the right temperature ranges for enzymatic conversion.  So, pull the enzymes from the grains and get them converting your wort into a fermentable one.  As long as, you do a starch test to see if you're converted, and end up in the ball park of your preboil volume and ~60+% efficiency you're doing good enough to continue refining you're 'brewhouse' for better results.  Or leave it there and drink awesome home brew.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 05:32:32 pm »
Thanks again for all the help. To answer some of the questions: I'm bottling from another bucket, so no, not pouring direct out of the secondary.  My sparge water temp I get to the degree per Beersmith.  The local HBS said to "pour the water very slowly, do not rush this...ever so slowly..."  He emphasized this, not quite sure why.  But it took 3-4 minutes to ladle the sparge water over.  I used "about half a bag" of liquid yeast (yeah, not too scientific...)  NOW, that all being said, I am now tasting a second bottle, two weeks out, and it's much improved (is that possible or maybe last bottle bad?)   It's not as I'd have it, a bit dark for a Belgian Pale Ale, the head is huge and foamy already but a bit coarse.  Malt, caramel, toast, few hops, and yeasty notes on the nose.  Has a very full round and nice mouthfeel, a bit coarse perhaps, and there is a bready and fruity sweetness to it that is nice, but it's a bit unbalanced.  Almost too much sweetness on the finish and a lack of grip or acidity.  However, better than the first one and now to adjust the recipe from here.  Who knows if a few more weeks will see further improvement, it's been 2 weeks now.  It's not bad at all and it won't go to waste.  You guys have been great, I appreciate  it.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 07:36:34 pm »
Looks like a Belgian pale ale.  That yeast strain is a little more phenolic especially fermenting at the higher end of the temperature range. 

Phenolics are more prominent as an off-aroma, but also are imparted in the flavor of beer. It is described as medicinal, band-aid-like, smokey, clove-like, and plastic-like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 06:08:14 am »
Might give it another go today, time permitting.  I'm adjusting a bit, and will ferment without the secondary, and in the basement in the dark which will put the temps in the room about 66 degrees.  Another thing, I don't do the iodine test to check for conversion.  Is this highly highly recommended?  If so I'll have to wait until another day when the HBS is open to pick some up. 

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 04:20:12 pm »
Seems fine to me.  For my 5 Liter batches, I generally BIAB 1500 grams in 3.5 Liters of water.  Boil another 3 Liters on the side.  Then when mash done, remove BIAB and add boiling water to bring it to boiling faster.  Brewhouse efficiency is around 60% but I just compensated with more grain above.  I don't mind.  2-Row is cheap.
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal

Offline Arsuf476

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 05:24:07 pm »
How long has it been in the bottle? I have noticed with a number of my beers I just need to be patient.