Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagunitas Brown Shugga' (Sweet Release)  (Read 7116 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Lagunitas Brown Shugga' (Sweet Release)
« on: November 14, 2009, 02:37:14 pm »
Last night I had two pints of this stuff at one of my local watering holes.  I had already had two pints (Bells Two Hearted and Left Hand Milk Stout) prior to the Brown Shugga' and had no idea that it was a 9.5% beer!  After the second Lagunitas, I couldn't understand why I felt so tanked.  This morning I woke up with a bastard behind the eyes, checked the Lagunitas website, and it all made sense.  Sorry, I don't have tasting notes -- there's no way I would have remembered my impressions anyway.   :o
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline smurfe

• Cellarman
  • Brewing on the Bayou
Re: Lagunitas Brown Shugga' (Sweet Release)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 02:55:42 pm »
Ahh Lagunitis, I just love their beers. Love the Brown Shugga. Did a clone a while back that wasn't too bad at all. I just wish I could buy their beers locally.
I cook and I brew down on the bayou

Swampwater Brewing
Gonzales Louisiana

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 03:26:39 pm »
Ahh Lagunitis, I just love their beers. Love the Brown Shugga. Did a clone a while back that wasn't too bad at all. I just wish I could buy their beers locally.

We just started getting it locally about a year ago. I love their beer.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline KING__SIZE

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:03:05 pm »
My wife picked up a 6 pack for me for brewday 11/8/09. It's is my new favorite beer. I was thinking of making a clone, and would be interested in notes.

Another great beer I have tried this week was Anchor Brewery's Christmas Beer... Cherries and Currants and all kinds of good.
“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.” Alexander Graham Bell

Offline budweiser

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:44:29 pm »
My wife picked up a 6 pack for me for brewday 11/8/09. It's is my new favorite beer. I was thinking of making a clone, and would be interested in notes.

Another great beer I have tried this week was Anchor Brewery's Christmas Beer... Cherries and Currants and all kinds of good.

The Brewing Network Program did a clone.

Listen to this:

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/510

You can't have a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:34:12 pm »
Holy shugga batman this is delicious.  It is a malty, molasses sweet heaven of a brew.  Idk if I call it old ale or American bw, this shugga is changing my opinion of what a drinkable 10% brew is....
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 09:49:29 am »
The first time I tried it was a while back at a friends house drinking and playing some card games. I brought a 6 pack and from the first sip I really enjoyed it. I was on my 4tb ber of the 6er and realized I was getting pretty lit and only then did I look on the bottle to find the abv lol. It was so smooth and drinkable you would never know. I would say its almost a Barleywine, maybe what a Barleywine should be like. Its good stuff but it will creep up on you.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 05:33:04 pm »
I have got to make a spin on one.  If anything I would change is a little more bitterness, just a touch to balance the not quite syrupy smoothness.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 12:43:36 pm »
1.100 OG

15# Base Blend
3-4# wheat
2.5-3.5# dark brown sugar (15-18% I think)
6oz Medium Crystal
6oz Dark Crystal
6oz Aromatic or Caramunich

60ish IBUs Warrior
<15min Blend cent, Willamette, and perle
Dry hop Willamette

That was my first run at this grist.  Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

AHA Member