Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation profile for Belgian Dark Strong?  (Read 3351 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Fermentation profile for Belgian Dark Strong?
« on: March 27, 2017, 05:51:18 pm »
I am planning a Belgian dark Strong inspired by Westvleteren 12.  I'll be using WLP530.  I'm thinking I'll pitch at 66*.  My question is about the temperature ramp.  Should I:

-Keep the temperature of the fermentation chamber at a constant and let the yeast free-rise

or

- Put the temperature probe in the thermowell and control the fermenting beer's temperature

If the latter, I'm thinking leaving it at 66* for 2-3 days then ramp 2 degrees per day until sitting at 80*, then leave it there until FG.

Thoughts?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Fermentation profile for Belgian Dark Strong?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:23:07 pm »
I brew a Belgian beer only occasionally so I'm no expert but in general I'd say controlling the beers temp is a much better and more repeatable way. I'd also question if going up to 80 degrees is necessary

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 07:33:21 pm »
I just bottled a Belgian Dubbel and followed a similar fermentation schedule (as your later one).  Started at 62* for 3 days then increased by 3-4 deg./day to 78* and hold to FG.  The FG sample tasted marvelous.  The yeast was Mangrove Jack's M31 Belgian Tripel.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 07:36:10 pm »
Thanks for your input.

My thinking is that 80* is the top end of the range recommended by White Labs, and is only an increase of 14*
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:52:26 am »
I've got a BDSA made with D-240 and WY1768 on tap now.  I'd use the same fermentation for WY3787.  I start at 63F and keep it there for maybe 4-5 days.  Then I bump it to 70F and leave it there til it's done...maybe another 7-10 days.  Then crash it to 33 until it's ready.  Personally, I hate what happens when you go much warmer than 72.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 03:31:15 pm »
Thanks Denny!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 05:03:55 pm »
I've got a BDSA made with D-240 and WY1768 on tap now.  I'd use the same fermentation for WY3787.  I start at 63F and keep it there for maybe 4-5 days.  Then I bump it to 70F and leave it there til it's done...maybe another 7-10 days.  Then crash it to 33 until it's ready.  Personally, I hate what happens when you go much warmer than 72.

I totally agree, Denny. That's pretty much my approach, too.
Jon H.

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 12:50:12 pm »

I assume this means ambient temperature, rather than temperature probe in the fermentor??
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 12:59:58 pm »

I assume this means ambient temperature, rather than temperature probe in the fermentor??

Nope, beer temp.  I don't put the probe in the beer.  It gets attached to the fermenter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 01:15:44 pm »

^^I also agree with denny's recommendation here.  The yeast will have no problem expressing themselves in a high gravity wort; you won't need any extra push from the temperature in that department.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 02:41:32 pm »
Excellent.  Thank you all.
Steve
BJCP #D1667