Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Clear beer??  (Read 10115 times)

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
Re: Clear beer??
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2017, 12:35:40 pm »
One trick i tried is using a syringe and adding the gelatin into the gas port of the keg. The only downside i had with this method is that one beer had some traces of coagulated gelatin.

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2017, 08:49:33 pm »
Meanwhile OP is watching is innocently asked question turn into a full on smack down between LODO and non-LODO brewers, while barely getting any useful information for his personal home use application...

Andor, I have found that proper PH during mash and cold crashing before racking (if you can) OR long term (2-3 weeks)cold storage (when bottling) showed the most improvement for me. Also, if you keg, adding heated rehydrated gelatin to the keg when racking cold beer from the fermenter should give you amazingly clear beer within a week of being in the keg. I have personally not noticed any negative side effects from any of these methods. YMMV

Lol thanks man, I counted this one out. I believe my source water may have changed and I was having ph issues. I have always trusted bru'n water and roughly verified with colorphast strips. I did note my ph looking low on the on my last few batches. I used distilled water for the mash and got a ph meter for the Vienna lager I did recently and its crystal clear after 2 weeks in the keg. Time to send ourt a new water report

Offline WAbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2017, 10:22:07 pm »
Meanwhile OP is watching is innocently asked question turn into a full on smack down between LODO and non-LODO brewers, while barely getting any useful information for his personal home use application...

+1

Show some respect for the OP and for all those not tethered to your particular hobbyhorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2017, 02:38:17 pm »
I watch mash pH, usually kettle fine with Irish moss in the boil and sometimes use gelatin to clear.  This beer had all of the above.  The only clarity suffered is due to the fact that this is a full liter and I had a bit of condensation. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2017, 02:41:54 pm »
I watch mash pH, usually kettle fine with Irish moss in the boil and sometimes use gelatin to clear.  This beer had all of the above.  The only clarity suffered is due to the fact that this is a full liter and I had a bit of condensation. 

Awesome looking brew regardless!
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »
Thanks Jon!

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2017, 04:13:19 pm »

Well done. That's a Nice looking beer. I have a helles on deck that I'm looking forward to drinking by the liter or more if I can find a bigger glass

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2017, 05:52:01 pm »

+1

Show some respect for the OP and for all those not tethered to your particular hobbyhorse.

I really didn't think there was any "smack down" at all. Ya'll take a chill pill and back off. No need for any of this.

Offline WAbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »
I've been brewing for over 10 years and was thinking of finally joining the AHA. I've been using Tapatalk for a few months to check out the hot topics that are preoccupying the organization's active members. In short, I have not been impressed. If I wanted to hear a bunch of socially maladaptive, middle-aged dudes exchange "scientific" info they found through Google searches and argue about who's the most aggrieved amongst them, I'd join the Tea Party. The irony is that there's currently an active thread bemoaning how many local homebrew shops are closing. Geez, I wonder why more folks aren't pursuing the hobby.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2017, 08:10:25 pm »
I've been brewing for over 10 years and was thinking of finally joining the AHA. I've been using Tapatalk for a few months to check out the hot topics that are preoccupying the organization's active members. In short, I have not been impressed. If I wanted to hear a bunch of socially maladaptive, middle-aged dudes exchange "scientific" info they found through Google searches and argue about who's the most aggrieved amongst them, I'd join the Tea Party. The irony is that there's currently an active thread bemoaning how many local homebrew shops are closing. Geez, I wonder why more folks aren't pursuing the hobby.

Friend, you are the one picking the fight here. Nobody else. Please, seriously, consider if we were talking face to face here. Everything gets skewed emotionally "on line". Let's just chill. No reason to start finger pointing or fighting. Peace and move on.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2017, 08:22:42 pm »
All things being equal, I think I need to get a pH meter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2017, 08:28:48 pm »

It is a good idea to chek/fix the pH for every batch. Also no a bad idea to check pH of finished beer.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2017, 09:29:13 pm »

It is a good idea to chek/fix the pH for every batch. Also no a bad idea to check pH of finished beer.
Does carbonation affect the PH reading?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2017, 06:26:11 am »

I'm not sure how much but yes, it does affect pH reading. You can de-carbonate beer by running it through a coffee filter.

The Beerery

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2017, 07:41:48 am »

I'm not sure how much but yes, it does affect pH reading. You can de-carbonate beer by running it through a coffee filter.

Yes the carbonic acid will lower pH as you say. However, I don't think the carbonic acid will evaporate though if degassed, so I would think your reading would stay the same.