Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No flameout when using whirlpool hops?  (Read 6233 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: No flameout when using whirlpool hops?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 08:45:35 pm »
So things are going forward?

Yep, we're in the final push, just riding the contractors and bank guys to make sure we're actually ready to break ground in May.

...Although now that I say that it's dumping snow for the first time in over a month. :-\
Cool. We will be in NM and CO in April, but a visit would be a little out of the way.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 10:01:26 pm »
I do an addition at flameout and then immediately start whirlpooling, so I guess it's the same thing? I'm also boiling at 194°F, so take that for whatever it's worth.

I also read a Brulosophy experiment where a lower-temp whirlpool was preferred.

Has there been another? The results of the one I've seen weren't significant.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/01/the-hop-stand-hot-vs-chilled-wort-exbeeriment-results/
Just curious how you get a boil at 194f? I'm in Denver and boil at 202f.  I'm guessing your  either at a higher elevation or boiling in a closed system ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 04:25:15 am »
I do an addition at flameout and then immediately start whirlpooling, so I guess it's the same thing? I'm also boiling at 194°F, so take that for whatever it's worth.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/01/the-hop-stand-hot-vs-chilled-wort-exbeeriment-results/
Just curious how you get a boil at 194f? I'm in Denver and boil at 202f.  I'm guessing your  either at a higher elevation or boiling in a closed system ?

He is in Leadville.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 08:14:34 am »

He is in Leadville.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 08:59:26 am »
So, someone help an old man out here with this terminology.

What do you mean by "whirlpool"?

Are you all standing around with spoons or paddles, swirling the wort in the kettle, or using a pump to achieve similar results?

Can I achieve the same results by running my immersion chiller until the wort is at 170°F, shut it off, add the hops, steep for 30-60 minutes, then turn the chiller back on?  Or do I need to be standing there the whole time, swirling the wort around to extract the hoppy goodness?

I know why people whirlpool, to get the hops to collect in the center of the kettle to use a pickup tube to draw clear wort from the side of the kettle, but that doesn't work for my system.  The only reason I whirlpool is to get the wort temperature down quicker, which doesn't seem to be the objective here.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 09:32:08 am »
Commercial breweries whirlpool, let settle, and run off through the chiller. That can take an hour or more before all the wort is to the fermenter. Adding hops at some point in the process will add more flavor, some aroma, and some bitterness. When the hops are added is one of those topics that if you ask 10 homebrewers you get 15 answers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 04:57:18 pm »
For my IIPA I added all my flavor and aroma hops at 175 this year and WP for 60 minutes and it turned out fantastic.  Cut back on my dry hop additions

That's my MO for IPAs now, shorter whirlpool for APA. Results are pretty darn good!
Jon H.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 08:19:14 pm »

Are you all standing around with spoons or paddles, swirling the wort in the kettle, or using a pump to achieve similar results?

Can I achieve the same results by running my immersion chiller until the wort is at 170°F, shut it off, add the hops, steep for 30-60 minutes, then turn the chiller back on?  Or do I need to be standing there the whole time, swirling the wort around to extract the hoppy goodness?

Chum, like you, I do not have a pump.  I've been adding the "whirlpool" hops and then just mainly steeping for half an hour, with a few stirs here and there as I do some cleanup.  I like the whirlpool step, as it allows me to sanitize a fermenter and put away all the rest of my brewing gear.  I'm late to the game and have only recently started this.  My last IPA was wicked good, and I have no reason to expect anything different from the APA bubbling away.  Cheers!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 08:23:59 pm »

Chum, like you, I do not have a pump.  I've been adding the "whirlpool" hops and then just mainly steeping for half an hour, with a few stirs here and there as I do some cleanup.  I like the whirlpool step, as it allows me to sanitize a fermenter and put away all the rest of my brewing gear.  I'm late to the game and have only recently started this.  My last IPA was wicked good, and I have no reason to expect anything different from the APA bubbling away.  Cheers!

Yeah, FWIW my "whirlpool" hopping comes with quotes. I don't have a pump either, so it's really a steep (or hopstand) where I uncover the pot every few minutes to gently stir. However my back is telling me that pump is in the near future. ;)
Jon H.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 08:31:27 pm »
Hoping not to start a major thread derail here, but what's the LoDO method of whirlpool hopping? 

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 08:31:56 pm »
My pump is probably the single best investment for my set up.  I use it for all transfers. Safer and saves my back.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 05:48:13 am »
Hoping not to start a major thread derail here, but what's the LoDO method of whirlpool hopping?

Using a pump will pick up very little DO if any.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 08:33:41 pm »
For my IIPA I added all my flavor and aroma hops at 175 this year and WP for 60 minutes and it turned out fantastic.  Cut back on my dry hop additions

What did you do for bittering with whirlpool additions like that? What did you target for a bittering addition?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 08:46:02 pm »

What did you do for bittering with whirlpool additions like that? What did you target for a bittering addition?

Can't speak for Keith but, since I do something similar for hoppy American beers, I'll tell you what I do. I add my target IBU as a 60 minute addition - if I want 42 IBU in an APA, then I add 42 IBU of my bittering hop at 60. If I want 70 IBU for an AIPA, I add 70 IBU @ 60. Then add all the late hops I'd have added to the boil in a 175-170F stand/whirlpool. Thing is, provided you whirlpool after cooling to below 190ish ( as said, I like 175-170F), you won't pick up much or any noticeable bitterness from the whirlpool. I like being able to control the bitterness while getting better flavor/aroma IMO. Give it a try, it makes a damn good beer!
Jon H.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 09:18:04 pm »
Thanks Hoosier, I have done a couple hop stands, but never more than 20 mins I do not think. I have seen at least 30 min to 60 mins for Pale Ales to IPA's. The first hop stand I did was for a Cream Ale, did some Saaz and Willamette as a hop stand with no other flavor/aroma additions to get a feel for what it brings. Been wanting to try more hop stands for hoppy beers but never sure what to do with the bittering addition. That makes sense to do a typical bittering charge and with the lower whirlpool addition to focus on flavor/aroma at lower temps.