Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite hop mix?  (Read 18357 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Favorite hop mix?
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:15:24 pm »
I'm pretty old school when it comes to hops. I don't brew a lot of Pale Ales or IPA's although I do enjoy them. I have to admit I am not up to date on all the new hops out there. All the fruity, "juicy", melon, passion fruit stuff I just haven't experienced much.

But with a Red IPA on the brain I thought up a mix of Columbus, Amarillo and Centennial sounded good.

I know some other common mixes I see are Cascade/Centennial, Amarillo and Simcoe.

Whats good to pair up with say Citra or Galaxy? I've also wanted to use Chinook in a beer for a while but haven't looked into them much. Could I get a few suggestions, reading hop descriptions sometimes just do give me enough of an idea, especially when talking good combos.

*Edit...I just seen the next thread is turning into something similar, didn't even see it before posting.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:18:07 pm by PORTERHAUS »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Favorite hop mix?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:27:50 am »
I don't have a favorite combo necessarily. Centennial, CTZ and Amarillo could be one (maybe with just a touch of simcoe). I have been blending Azacca and Mosaic for a very nice "tropical" IPA lately.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:54:39 am »
Citra Equinox (now Ekuanot) is one of my all time favorite mixes.  I make a IIPA with it and when its on tap, becomes dangerous because the hop aroma and flavor keep me filling my glass. 

Others:

Simcoe/Amarillo
Amarillo/Cascade
Mosaic/Azacca
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:43:54 am »
I currently have a 1:1:1 Equinox/Comet/Centennial IPL on tap. I love citrusy hops and this combo somehow ended up having very strong orange character that I am in love with. Equinox is just amazing in my opinion and will become a permanent part of my APA/IPA if I can ever settle on one recipe...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:53:16 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:02:12 am »
Equinox is just amazing in my opinion and will become a permanent part of my APA/IPA if I can ever settle on one recipe...

yeah - this hop has worked its way up the priority line, I'm using it in a lot of recipes now.

doing a simcoe/ekuanot mix next.

to the OP:

Citra and Galaxy also work really well together.  or alone - for a Red IPA, all Citra or Citra plus a little Willamette is money (Tocabaga Red IPA from Cigar City is predominantly Citra with some Will - I devised an homage that is ridiculously good).

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:33:47 am »
Equinox is just amazing in my opinion and will become a permanent part of my APA/IPA if I can ever settle on one recipe...

yeah - this hop has worked its way up the priority line, I'm using it in a lot of recipes now.

doing a simcoe/ekuanot mix next.

to the OP:

Citra and Galaxy also work really well together.  or alone - for a Red IPA, all Citra or Citra plus a little Willamette is money (Tocabaga Red IPA from Cigar City is predominantly Citra with some Will - I devised an homage that is ridiculously good).

Willamette is vastly under appreciated as part of these big IPA hop blends IMO.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 12:06:04 pm »
I just killed a keg of amber ale with summit, simcoe, and saphir.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 12:34:51 pm »
Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

I love Willamette, I agree its very underated. I use them inan Amber Ale, never would have thought about them for an IPA but now im interested. I do like Citra, but I get the catty character and not the fruity mango so I would like to mix it if I use it again. I think I have had an all Galaxy Pale Ale. I bet that would be a good combo.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 12:39:22 pm »
Fuggles and EKG.

:P
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 01:12:24 pm »
I'm a fan of mixing "German" and American hops.  Mt. Hood and Columbus.  Tettnang and Cascade.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 01:54:36 pm »
Clusters and Saaz (well, Clusters and any noble hop).

Northern Brewer or Perle and Hallertauer.

Styrians and Saaz.

Challenger, Target, Styrians, and EKGs.

Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo, and Cascade.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 04:43:12 pm »
I don't have a favorite necessarily. Lots that I like a lot. Always evolving with trials of new varieties.

Mt Hood/Liberty
Mt Hood/ Cascade or Centennial
Azacca/Cascade
Azacca/Lemon Drop
Galaxy/Nelson
Galaxy/Citra
Citra/Chinook
Amarillo/Citra/Columbus
Ekuanot/Chinook (or Ekuanot with Simcoe,Galaxy, or many ale hops)
Amarillo/Simcoe
Amarillo/Centennial/Chinook or Columbus
Saaz/Styrian

Several others depending on mood.

Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 04:50:42 pm »

Amarillo/Citra/Columbus

This^^^ for me! Citrusy, catty, dank and fruity.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 10:16:40 pm »
Fuggles and EKG.

:P
Your not alone my man. That is a wonderful combination.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 05:54:13 am »
Thinking about mixing, I realized I do a lot of single hop stuff, but one combo that I've used over and over again in my Cascadian Dark Ale is a 1:1 of Cascade/Mosiac.  100% Cascade a la Sierra Nevada Pale is too much for me, so the addition of some citrus cuts it just nicely.  I made one batch with Cascade/Citra since I had a bunch of free citra laying around (conference give away) but it wasn't as good, even though I love Citra.

Most of my other IPA's have been single hop.  Did one with HBC 438 (Ron Mexico) that was incredible.  About to do one with El Dorado. 

I use Magnum for clean bittering, and then late aroma hops, but I don't really consider that a combo.  Like my El Dorado DIPA I'm brewing this weekend is Magnum at 60 minutes and then El Dorado at 10 min and El Dorado dry hop, so in my head that's a "single hop" since all the aroma and flavor is going to be the El Dorado.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year