Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite Brew Music  (Read 6670 times)

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
Re: Favorite Brew Music
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 08:39:16 am »
Nothing gets me pumped up on brew day like Queens of the Stone Age.
John L.
---
Planning: Simcoe SMaSH
Bubbling:
Drinking: Saison, Amber Ale, APA, American Strong Ale

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 08:54:31 am »

Good one
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 09:00:41 am »

Yeah, great band. I'm all over the map with brew day music - among others I go from classic punk to bands like Replacements and Husker Du, to 90s grunge, then bands like QOTSA , and finally to the Dead, being a longtime Deadhead. There's variety for ya.  :)
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 09:36:15 am »
As a rocker and former gigging musician, I find listening to tunes I enjoy distracting from the process and work against me.  Same goes for drinking while brewing.  I just throw on some jazz on the radio for ambient noise.  My brew session is not fun at all: there's lots of minute details hitting temps/measuring small quantities/dangerous chemicals/glassware/etc.  This will even get worse once I start fooling with LO2. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 09:46:20 am »
As a rocker and former gigging musician, I find listening to tunes I enjoy distracting from the process and work against me.  Same goes for drinking while brewing.  I just throw on some jazz on the radio for ambient noise.  My brew session is not fun at all: there's lots of minute details hitting temps/measuring small quantities/dangerous chemicals/glassware/etc.  This will even get worse once I start fooling with LO2.
   I can't help asking this question - if it aint fun, why do it?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 10:21:54 am »
I keep the music a little mellow with something like Groove Armada streaming on Pandora.     And no drinking until the beer is running through the chiller.    I make better beer that way.   ;)
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 10:29:06 am »
And no drinking until the beer is running through the chiller.    I make better beer that way.   ;)

Yeah, for sure. My beer quality jumped noticeably when I saved the drinking until after brewing.  I'd rather celebrate a batch that came out great than make a batch mediocre because I got sloppy on the details (ie, too many pints while brewing).
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 10:37:18 am »
I've got a vast collection copied onto iTunes that I have on an iPod that I connect to a Bluetooth speaker in my brewing room in the basement.  I just hit the random mix button and let it run, then stop it when I am done brewing.  So I am listening to a lot of different stuff, mostly old. Motown, reggae, funk, classic country, alt country, 50s/60s/70s pop, 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s rock...the alt country is about the only new stuff. No hair bands, today's hot young country, or modern pop.

As for drinking while brewing.....this year I gave up drinking for Lent.  Last month I brewed 40 gallons of beer, and all four batches are looking pretty good.  Although I usually drink while I brew, the big thing is not drinking has really motivated me to brew.  In 10 days when Lent ends I am really looking forward to trying some new homebrews that I haven't even tasted yet.  :)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 11:01:02 am »
   I can't help asking this question - if it aint fun, why do it?

I enjoy all the other brewing aspects plus I am making better beer than I can buy most times.  The actual brewing is like a workout where the payoff comes later.  I also enjoy helping others learn to make better beer.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 12:16:40 pm »
I suppose for the really dedicated homebrewer, it could be simply "deeply satisfying", without being "fun".  I think it is fun, but I can see the deep satisfaction side of it, too.  I don't like the cleaning, so I have gone to one vessel no sparge, but I am looking always to improve my process - adding , then subtracting, and trying to hit my "fun efficiency".  Low O2 has been an interesting set of process changes... but I don't see that as fun, per se.  I do like the results, so for now, it is in my process and system for lagers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 01:33:19 pm »
Gotta have Celtic punk on. Dropkick Murphy, Flogging Molly, The Real McKenzies, The Tossers, etc...

How do you leave the Pogues off that list?  That's where it started.  But your list is good, too.  I've got a buddy who plays bass for the Tossers. 

If the kids are around when I'm brewing, I end up listening to something like Katy Perry or Taylor Swift.  Or Disney music.  If I get to pick, it's probably the Tom Waits channel on Pandora.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 01:45:07 pm »
Gotta have Celtic punk on. Dropkick Murphy, Flogging Molly, The Real McKenzies, The Tossers, etc...

How do you leave the Pogues off that list?  That's where it started.

They're on it for sure. I just wasn't going to sit here and list all my favs.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 01:46:31 pm »

How do you leave the Pogues off that list?  That's where it started.

They're on it for sure. I just wasn't going to sit here and list all my favs.

Gotcha.  Just giving you some grief.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 02:16:28 pm »
I usually run a Pandora channel that started with Rancid, so I get all kinds of new and old school Punk. Over time I have added some different things to the channel including J. Roddy Walston and the Business (new album coming soon) so I usually wind up with a mix of punk, folksy bluesy rock, including the likes of Black Keys, White Stripes, QOTSA, some older Pixies, Dead Milkmen, Jane's Addiction and all of my other favorites. As said before, its kinda just there in the back ground when I'm busy measuring, adding, mashing in, etc; but I listen intently while watching wort boil and chill. Laptop outside with tunes and Beersmith II for me every brewday.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 05:20:31 am »
Whatever I am feeling at the time...im all over the place with taste in music. But usually its a couple hard rock stations on Pandora. I dont pay much attention to the music, just have a little something going in the background. There is so much back and forth, in and out, checking this, doing that.