Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Learning about yeast  (Read 2426 times)

Offline turfgrass

• Cellarman
Learning about yeast
« on: April 06, 2017, 06:16:29 am »
I really don't know anything about yeast and pitching yeast when it comes to brewing beer.  So, I'm looking for good articles or post on here for a Newb?  As far as equipment goes, I do have a 1,000 ml pyrex flask and it looks as though I will be needing a stir plate.  Recommendations on a decent but inexpensive stir plate would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Learning about yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 06:27:06 am »
There is a whole sub forum on yeast and fermentation with tons of questions and answers. It's a great resource. If you search for SNS starter method, you may decide to skip the stir plate, as several people here have. It's "shaken not stirred" and works great for me

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:34:20 am »
Computer fan, magnet, stir bar, Tupperware container, and foam bung.

I shook my starters for the 1st year.  No absolute need for a starter stir plate.

Franx- beat me to it ;)

You can pic up a book - Palmer/Mosher/Kunze/Narsis to name a few
Web - braukiaser.com phdinbeer.com brewgeeks.com byo.com etc
Social media- Milkthefunk
Multisource some articles on brewers yeast life cycle or phases.

Understanding lag, growth, fermentation/stationary, and sedimentation/flocculation are the basic overview.  Reading in depth about ale yeast, lager yeast, brettanomyces, and bacteria in beer.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:49:01 am »
I have been through all the stages of yeast, I think.  Went from 1 qt. shaken  to yeast calculators and then stir plates.  I'm back to no yeast calculator and using the "Shaken, Not Stirred" method of making starters.  You can find info about it with a search of the forum.  I discovered that all that other hoo haw is unnecessary and a needless complication, not to mention that I get better results than when I used all that other stuff.   
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:17:53 am »
I really don't know anything about yeast and pitching yeast when it comes to brewing beer.  So, I'm looking for good articles or post on here for a Newb?  As far as equipment goes, I do have a 1,000 ml pyrex flask and it looks as though I will be needing a stir plate.  Recommendations on a decent but inexpensive stir plate would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

In it's simplest form, using 1 liter/quart of 1.030 wort plus your liquid yeast in a half gallon growler about 8-24 hours in advance of pitching will suffice.  Get your chilled and sanitary wort into the growler, add the yeast, put the lid on and shake the sh!t out of it until it's super foamy; then remove the lid and put an airlock or sanitized aluminum on the opening; wait until the starter is forming good krausen/foam on top and pitch into your 5 gallons of wort.  The timing may vary depending on several variables but usually 12-18 hours is sufficient, but it may go as quick as 8 or as long as 24 (or more depending).

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:53:22 am »

In it's simplest form, using 1 liter/quart of 1.030 wort plus your liquid yeast in a half gallon growler about 8-24 hours in advance of pitching will suffice.  Get your chilled and sanitary wort into the growler, add the yeast, put the lid on and shake the sh!t out of it until it's super foamy; then remove the lid and put an airlock or sanitized aluminum on the opening; wait until the starter is forming good krausen/foam on top and pitch into your 5 gallons of wort.  The timing may vary depending on several variables but usually 12-18 hours is sufficient, but it may go as quick as 8 or as long as 24 (or more depending).

I agree that this is a good way to start.  It may also be as far as you need to go.  Keep in mind, bigger beers need more yeast.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some of us have been brewing for a long time and, as Denny noted, have gone through various different methods of growing/pitching yeast.  A lot of us also have a few favorite strains we've used over and over.  My point being that we've likely grown accustomed to the yeast performance and we're able to judge whether or not we have enough yeast for what we are brewing, regardless of the mechanism we use to grow it (stir plate, SNS, etc.).  There's no substitute for experience.  However, reading as much as you can will help.  I'd check out the yeast calculators at least to get an understanding of them even if you never use them (I never have).  I'd also read the SNS threads.  There's a TON of info there.  I haven't used my stir plates in a couple years.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 11:16:45 am »
As I alluded to earlier and Joe and others mention now, start with SNS method. If you dont get the results you want, then you could build/buy a stir plate and try that method. I on the other hand, bought a stir plate, used it for 1-2 batches and then read about SNS on here and have not touched my stir plate in 2 years(or so.) In the end, to me, the stir plate turned out to be a piece of brewing equipment I feel I wasted my money on. Just trying to save you that hassle and expense
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 11:29:04 am »
For $12.91, you can learn a lot from this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Yeast-Practical-Fermentation-Brewing-Elements/dp/0937381969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491499332&sr=8-1&keywords=yeast+chris+white

I do have a 1,000 ml pyrex flask

If you are making starters sized for 5 gallon batches, you're going to want something bigger.  One gallon glass jugs work well and you can get one at the market (full of juice, no less) for like $5. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 01:42:17 pm »
Another way to go is to brew a low gravity beer and just pitch a "pitchable" pack of yeast.  Fresh Omega Yeast Labs packs can be pitched into 1.040 gravity beers pretty reliably (ales), without any issues.  Then re-pitch a third to half of the yeast cake onto the next batch and it will take right off.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline turfgrass

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 02:13:31 pm »
All great information.   Thank you.

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 11:04:22 am »