Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cleaning bottles  (Read 4931 times)

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: cleaning bottles
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 10:35:58 am »
I started a thread in bottling category to ask questions about bleach solution but I'm not getting much response so I'll try it here.

I've started soaking bottles (and fermenters) in Idophor solution after experiencing some late shelf life gushers.  But idophor is expensive and bleach is dirt cheap. 

-What is a good beach solution that would kill yeast? 

-What is a minimum soak time to do the job? 

-Will a good rinse in tap water and drain dry then a couple shots with Starsan in the Vinator just before bottling clear out any chlorine residue or taste?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 11:39:25 am »
I also immediately rinse a bottle after use. When bottling day comes, I wash with OxyClean (free--no fragrance), rinse with one of those bottle-washing gizmos I screw onto the faucet, let dry, and then soak in StarSan just before bottling. I've had no problems.

I agree.  In talking with my buddies who home brew, those of us who rinse the bottles immediately after pouring with hot water never have a problem with stray infection.  A good StarSan soak on bottling day, an inverted drain for an hour, and a spritz around the top just before bottling, and I am good to go.  I am on the 6th or 7th re-use of 4-5 cases, without any issues. 
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 03:35:27 pm »
If you never clean bottles with a brush, you can get gradual build up of beerstone on the bottom after a few cycles of use - visible when held up to light. It's then quite difficult to get out, even with a brush. I now give used bottles a good rinse under the tap after pouring a beer and then put them in the dishwasher. Then just sanitize the good ones on bottling day and separate out the ones with beerstone for brushing or another run through dishwasher.

Offline steamyb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 10:20:16 am »
My procedure for keeping bottles sanitized and clean is as follows.  I always have two five gallon buckets with a strong water bleach solution sitting in the basement filled with bottles.  Upon removing them from the buckets, I run them under tap water and give them a thorough rinse.  Place them in a rack upside down to dry.  Once dry, place them into cases and store until I need them.

On bottling day, I take these bleached bottles and give them a Starsan soak for three minutes or so and invert them once again for about five minutes.

Assuming water from the tap is sterile, can I skip the Starsan soak?
"Assuming water from the tap is sterile"
Bad assuming tap water is sterile- consider Flint, Michigan.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 05:27:29 pm »
I also immediately rinse a bottle after use. When bottling day comes, I wash with OxyClean (free--no fragrance), rinse with one of those bottle-washing gizmos I screw onto the faucet, let dry, and then soak in StarSan just before bottling. I've had no problems.

This is similar to what I do.  I had some early problems with infected beers and bottle gushers and I got a lot more diligent with cleaning bottles.  I usually sink rinse the bottles after they've been drunk and store them away. And then a couple days before bottling day I soak them all in hot PBW/Oxyclean Free water for an hour or so.  Then I will rinse them well and let them drip dry on the bottle tree and then on bottle day fill the sink with star san water, soak about 5-6 bottles at a time.  Fill and cap them one at a time.  Usually not too bad for my small 2.5-3 gallon batches and my beer quality has improved.   

I'm also not opposed to buying the occasional case of new bottles for big comps like NHC. Every so often bottles leave circulation, get left at a meeting, friends house, get too gunky etc.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 11:20:12 am »
If it is a new beer bottle with label, I rinse out 3 times and then soak overnight in dishwasher detergent or Star San...  Label is completely off the next day. Rinse 3 times and store upside down.  Otherwise if mine, then rinse three times in water store upside down and sanitize with next brewing cycle.  Seems to work fine.
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal