Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drinking my first brew as I type  (Read 2768 times)

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
Drinking my first brew as I type
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:18:03 pm »
I bottled my first ever brew, a bohemian pilsner, last Sunday and was planning on waiting at least 2 weeks before sampling, but I got a little bored today so I put it in the fridge a few hours ago and am drinking it now.

I have to say it is better than I expected, and I am pretty happy! It is definately still a little flat but with a heavy pour I was able to get a decent head, even if it didn't last too long. To my relatively untrained taste buds it seems to have a taste that is true to the style, if just a little fruity and watered down. But for my first try and knowing the mistakes I made, I am pretty pleased with it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Drinking my first brew as I type
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:26:04 pm »
Contgratulations! The "watered down" comment is probably because the carbonation is low (Co2 will help beef up mouth feel) and the "fruity" is because. well, its a pretty tall challenge to brew an actual Bo Pils on your first try. For one thing, a bo pils is a lager which means you would have had to have pitched lager yeast at around 44-48 degrees and maintained 48-50 degrees for a couple of weeks and then underwent a near freezing maturation period of at least 2 weeks. You most likely used an ale yeast which will give you a nice beer but with fruitier "ale like" characteristics. Sounds like you got close to what you were aiming for though - and that's a great start. My first batch was pretty much terrible even though I tried to convince myself and every one else it was the best beer ever!  ;D

I'd recommend going with something like a nice pale ale or IPA for your next batch and get a few more brews under your belt before you tackle another lager. And if you haven't gotten a good homebrew book yet pick up a copy of John Palmer's "How to Brew".

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:03:35 pm »
Welcome to the AHA and our obsession!

Sounds like the major has you on the right track.
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.  Better safe than sorry.  8)

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:15:52 pm »

I did brew this as an ale, so I knew it wouldn't be exactly correct. Also "How to Brew" has been a great resource. I actually have an amber ale that has been in the fermenter since Monday, and if I can get the time will try either a porter or an IPA  as soon as I can bottle the amber in another week or 2. This time I plan on leaving the kits behind and am looking for a good recipe. It is safe to say I am quickly getting addicted.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:33:57 pm »
Congratulations on your first brew!  My first brews were ok but definitely needed some improvement.  Like all of us you will learn and get better.  Keep us posted on how your next brew turns out.

Happy Brewing,
Brandon

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 10:09:02 pm »
This time I plan on leaving the kits behind and am looking for a good recipe.
Check out JZ and Palmer's book Brewing Classic Styles.  I've used a few as starting points for some beers, and they've all been great.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:31:18 pm »
It is safe to say I am quickly getting addicted.

Muahahah...! ;D

Really, once it gets a hold of ya theres no turning back. Welcome to the obsession!

Oh, and let your newly carbed beer sit longer in the fridge- say 24 hours. IMO it makes the carbonation a bit better sooner.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:40:33 am »
This time I plan on leaving the kits behind and am looking for a good recipe.
Check out JZ and Palmer's book Brewing Classic Styles.  I've used a few as starting points for some beers, and they've all been great.
+1

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »
Look in the wiki for NHC recipes or on my website.  The key to a good recipe when you are starting out is how well did the recipe turn out, how did it do in competition?  There are certainly many recipes that are not entered in contests that are awesome, but until you can recognize them, or if you have a brew buddy to help, stick to the proven recipes.

Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 02:01:34 pm »
I generally have better luck comparing  several recipes of a similar style and picking the one most recommended by other brewers, than those claiming a wall full of ribbons. I’ve brewed some “award winning” recipes that make me wonder what the judges were doing besides drinking on the day of the competition. :D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 03:18:44 pm »
Keep in mind that the recipe is only about 10% (IMO) of the beer.  Quality of ingredients and especially brewing technique are what really count.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 06:03:05 pm »
You never forget your first one.

Were you able to make it last longer than thirty seconds?
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:09:09 pm »
Keep in mind that the recipe is only about 10% (IMO) of the beer.  Quality of ingredients and especially brewing technique are what really count.

I am with Denny on his ranking, as I put technique and process above quality ingedients and then recipe.  The brewing system you use turns out to be not so important, BTW.  The brewer makes the beer with his/her technique and process.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 07:06:02 pm »
Ain't life great?!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 07:23:41 am »
Ain't life great?!
Yes! though  my wife things I'm crazy. Especially after I told her I need to get another fermenter because I can't wait 2-3 weeks between batches.

And for the poster who asked if it lasted more than 30 seconds, the answer is yes. While the beeer was good, it wasn't THAT good.  :)