Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stains on the inside of my keg  (Read 2477 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Stains on the inside of my keg
« on: March 14, 2017, 07:21:12 am »
I realized a couple weeks ago that one of my kegs has some linear brown stains on the inside. Looks like I probably stored it before it was completely dry. They are directly downward of the in and out holes. I cleaned it three times including a weeklong soak with PBW. However it looks the same.
Does anyone think this is a problem? I don't think it is rust but it has to be CLEAN after a week long soak in for PBW right? I don't want to have to buy new keg just cause I know that it doesn't look pretty on the inside.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Stains on the inside of my keg
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:15:28 am »
Could be beerstone, try using some Beer Line Cleaner.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:36:20 pm »
You shouldn't need to buy a new keg but you do want to remover the stains. Try a green scrubby tied to a long spoon after a hot PBW rinse. Beer line cleaner is a good suggestion too.

Offline michaeltrego

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 06:42:23 pm »
I would try scrubbing it with some Scotch-Brite No Scratch pads and Bar Keepers Friend.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 06:44:39 pm »
You shouldn't need to buy a new keg but you do want to remover the stains. Try a green scrubby tied to a long spoon after a hot PBW rinse. Beer line cleaner is a good suggestion too.

I do the green scrubby zip tied to a long spoon thing semi regularly. Works great to scrub out tough stains on the bottom of the keg.
Jon H.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 10:05:51 pm »
 I ended up using barkeepers friend and it worked great. Looks like new. Thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.