Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking to upgrade  (Read 2448 times)

Offline wdbrewman

• 1st Kit
Looking to upgrade
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:00:49 pm »
Hey just curious on any 10 gallon equipment that is preferred out there since I'm only doing 1 gallon batches at the moment and want to up the game and get really into brewing and was curious about any good quality 10 gallon setups. Thanks

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Looking to upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:19:33 pm »
Are you looking to do 10 gallon batches, or a setup that can do 10 gallons of liquid (for 5-6 gallon batches)? 
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline wdbrewman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »
looking to have a net of 10 gallon batches

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 06:55:25 pm »
Tons of variables. How much do you want to spend? Gas or electric? Batch sparge, BIAB, or three vessel?

Offline wdbrewman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 07:07:12 pm »
I'm open to all variations and budget isn't really an issue, i'm more of an all grain type guy

Offline Stevie

Looking to upgrade
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 08:02:47 pm »

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 08:34:03 pm »
I've had a BrewMagic system for 12 years and love it.   The entry fee has gone up significantly since I got mine, however.
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 09:11:45 am »
I'm open to all variations and budget isn't really an issue, i'm more of an all grain type guy

Famous last words  8)
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 09:56:11 am »
I am cheap.  My cheap set up is this with for a boil kettle and heating up strike water:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSGL82Y/ref=asc_df_B00BSGL82Y4923785/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00BSGL82Y&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167140576504&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2805664501782737842&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021299&hvtargid=pla-272684515126

I mash in a Coleman Extreme cooler with a sure screen.  I have two propane burners, and a second 7.5 gallon kettle for heating up sparge water, decoctions, etc.  I brew on a stand, but a pump certainly could be an improvement (did I say I was cheap?).

I chill with a Hydra immersion copper chiller. That's about it.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 11:05:41 am »
Lots of great stuff out there, but just remember the more kettles, hoses and connections, the longer it takes you to prep to brew and last, but worst of all, the longer it takes to get everything cleaned up and put away.
How gear centric are you? How much space you have is another consideration. Sometimes simpler is better if you're not one to futz with equipment.

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 11:08:52 am »
Lots of great stuff out there, but just remember the more kettles, hoses and connections, the longer it takes you to prep to brew and last, but worst of all, the longer it takes to get everything cleaned up and put away.
How gear centric are you? How much space you have is another consideration. Sometimes simpler is better if you're not one to futz with equipment.

That's been my point of view for the last 20 years.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 12:50:39 pm »
Couldn't have said it better myself. That said, Stevie was right up my alley. I'd love total control w that Spike Electrobling brewing inside. Back to reality though. I'm a cooler mashing, exterior brewing, NG 3 tier man myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline SilverZero

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 04:46:42 pm »
I have 3 20-gallon Concord pots, two of them have 5500w electric elements. 2 Chugger pumps. A homemade counterflow heater/chiller in place of a traditional HERMS coil and separate chiller. Hot and cold water plumbed to the brew area. Built a control panel very similar to the famous electric brewery website lays out. I like the setup, but I would make a couple of changes.

I would skip the false bottom in my MLT and go straight for the brew bag (there are a couple of good ones for sale, but I made my own from polyester curtain panels for 3 bucks and an hour of sewing). Cleaning 30lbs of grain is a million times easier when you can pull it all out at once and carry it to the compost bin, plus I get an efficiency bump by squeezing the bag a bit (or just draining it).

I'd also make sure I had a sink nearby. I haven't done this yet and it sucks having nowhere to drain liquid without buckets or carrying the whole pot somewhere.

Lastly, I'd either put the HERMS coil in the HLT like most people do, or use a large cooler (again, with a bag). It's just a bit more efficient and faster to maintain temps compared to what I did, I think.

It sounds complex, but my system is about as easy as I can imagine for 10-12 gallon batches. I ferment in a Sanke and drain directly into it in the fermentation chamber. I don't lift liquid at any point. Building is just as fun as brewing for me (to a point) so I'd be happy to talk about other ideas.

That said, I'm really loving my 1-gallon brewing right now. Quick and easy!

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 09:36:31 pm »

Famous last words  8)

RIGHT!!
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 10:10:59 pm »
The ultimate upgrade includes a catwalk and a brewing monkey.   ;)