Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where'd my 5 gallon brew go??  (Read 6125 times)

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
Where'd my 5 gallon brew go??
« on: April 04, 2017, 11:51:05 am »
 I just bottled my first extract, partial grain DIPA brew.  OG 1.086  FG 1.018 Fermtemp 66 degrees. When I carefully racked my beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket, I only had 4 gallons of beer.  I started fermentation 3 weeks ago with 5 gallons.  I used a bucket for my primary fermenter, and didn't use a secondary.  I would periodically check for a good seal, and always had one. Any suggestions on where to find my missing gallon of beer?

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
Re: Where'd my 5 gallon brew go??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:55:51 am »
How much trub did you have in the bottom of the fermenter?  Did you dry hop that DIPA?

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:05:23 pm »
I didn't dry hop, and I had about an inch of trub.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:49:59 pm »
Did you pull samples?

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 01:07:37 pm »
I didn't pull any samples.  The other weird thing was that while my beer was in the fermenter it smelled like beer, and after racking it to the bottling bucket it didn't smell like beer or hoppy.  The empty fermenter bucket smelled great, hoppy.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 01:17:08 pm »
IIPA usually = beer loss to absorption by the large hop load. How much hops did you use? Close to 1/2 gallon-ish total loss isn't uncommon for me in IIPA. As for the loss of hop aroma, you'll likely notice it be more apparent once the beer carbs and the CO2 helps lift the aromas up into the glass. If not, keep in mind that hop aromas easily oxidize and that it's good practice to minimize oxygen pickup where you can. Be sure to post how it comes out.

Edit -  If your sugar was based on 5 gallons and you ended up with 4, you'll likely get overcarbed beer. Be careful - as soon as the beer seems carbed properly, get the bottles right in the fridge and keep them there. Bottle bombs are not a good thing.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 04:07:29 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 02:04:30 pm »
Thanks for the help. I'm hoping I didn't over carbonate my bottles, since my priming sugar calculations were based off 5 gallons and not the 4 gallons I ended up with.  As for how the beer conditions in the bottle, I'll know in 3 to 4 weeks.

Offline IPAnic

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 03:55:23 pm »
Wish I had a dollar for every time I asked this question ;)

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 06:02:56 pm »
IIPA usually = beer loss to absorption by the large hop load. How much hops did you use? Close to 1/2 gallon-ish total loss isn't uncommon for me in IIPA. As for the loss of hop aroma, you'll likely notice it be more apparent once the beer carbs and the CO2 helps lift the aromas up into the glass. If not, keep in mind that hop aromas easily oxidize and that it's good practice to minimize oxygen pickup where you can. Be sure to post how it comes out.

Edit -  If your sugar was based on 5 gallons and you ended up with 4, you'll likely get overcarbed beer. Be careful - as soon as the beer seems carbed properly, get the bottles right in the fridge and keep them there. Bottle bombs are not a good thing.

Besides opening a bottle or waiting until it explodes, how else can you tell if your bottles are over carbonated?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 06:13:23 pm »

Besides opening a bottle or waiting until it explodes, how else can you tell if your bottles are over carbonated?

In this case, I'd check a bottle after a week at warm temps, and then every 2-3 days until the beer has the right carb level to you, then refrigerate all the bottles and keep them there. It'll slow the yeast activity greatly , especially being an ale strain, and prevent your bottles from overcarbing in the short term. They might well slowly carb further in the fridge a bit more, but hoppy beers usually get consumed pretty quickly. Do this and you'll be fine.
Jon H.

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 06:19:17 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I don't mind losing a few bottles to over carbonation, it's my wives reaction to exploding beer bottles that's the concern.  :-\

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 10:08:22 pm »
Well wait, over carbing a DIPA vs over carbing a hefe, the vols are probably 2.2ish vs 3+  I would not say 4 gallons of carbing sugar say 5 oz is a bottle bomb.  I will say that it is over carbonated to style, but I like my DIPAs to be very low carbonation.  My guess is you're fine, and that's per the norm.  What was your bottling amount ~ 2 cases?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 05:21:34 am »
Well wait, over carbing a DIPA vs over carbing a hefe, the vols are probably 2.2ish vs 3+  I would not say 4 gallons of carbing sugar say 5 oz is a bottle bomb.  I will say that it is over carbonated to style, but I like my DIPAs to be very low carbonation.  My guess is you're fine, and that's per the norm.  What was your bottling amount ~ 2 cases?

Yeah, I'm not saying automatic bottle bombs. It very likely will be just overcarbed for an IPA. Nonetheless, sampling until the carb level is where he likes and then getting the bottles cold can give him a beer he likes better if it's consumed in a timely fashion and MAYBE prevent a few bombs. All it takes is a couple bottles with micro cracks and overpriming.
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 06:14:21 am »

Yeah, I'm not saying automatic bottle bombs. It very likely will be just overcarbed for an IPA. Nonetheless, sampling until the carb level is where he likes and then getting the bottles cold can give him a beer he likes better if it's consumed in a timely fashion and MAYBE prevent a few bombs. All it takes is a couple bottles with micro cracks and overpriming.
I get ya.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 12:23:28 pm »
I ended up with 42 bottles, a six pack shy of 2 cases.  I used 4.5 oz of priming sugar.