Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to harvest yeast  (Read 4090 times)

Offline porkchopexp2

• 1st Kit
How to harvest yeast
« on: April 04, 2017, 09:41:52 pm »
I keep reading articles, post, etc...in regards to harvesting yeast post fermentation.  Can someone provide some insight on this topic.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: How to harvest yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:03:38 pm »
I am not sure there is much insight to provide.  If you have a general question or are looking for clarity, I say check out the yeast and fermentation section.  Yeast Harvesting thread.  As simply put it is collecting the yeast that was used to ferment beer.  There are many different ways to do it.  Some collect the trub, or slurry left post fermentation, top cropping ale yeast that are in the krausen can be scooped out with a spoon and harvested into a mason jar or what have you.  Then lager yeast can be gathered via a cone, or slurry.  Washing said yeast is also another story, some people do it, some do not.  I for one say it depends.  To clarify, if you want to make a black lager (schwarzbier), a IPL, and a Pilsner you will need to make the pilsner first otherwise the hop matter from the IPL and the roast from the Schwarzbier will mess up your pils.  Is that about as clear as mud or crystal?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 09:07:08 am »
It's dead easy.  After you rack the beer from the fermenter, pour the slurry left in the bottom of the fermenter into 3-4 sanitized containers.  I use 1/2 gal. plastic containers with snap on lids.  Store them in e fridge.  You can store them for several months.  Up to a month you can just pull out a container and pitch it directly.  Older than that, you shoud use the stored yeast to make a new starter.

You will hear about a number of procedures.  This is the easiest way to do it and works at least as well as any other procedure.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 09:07:54 am »
I am not sure there is much insight to provide.  If you have a general question or are looking for clarity, I say check out the yeast and fermentation section.  Yeast Harvesting thread.  As simply put it is collecting the yeast that was used to ferment beer.  There are many different ways to do it.  Some collect the trub, or slurry left post fermentation, top cropping ale yeast that are in the krausen can be scooped out with a spoon and harvested into a mason jar or what have you.  Then lager yeast can be gathered via a cone, or slurry.  Washing said yeast is also another story, some people do it, some do not.  I for one say it depends.  To clarify, if you want to make a black lager (schwarzbier), a IPL, and a Pilsner you will need to make the pilsner first otherwise the hop matter from the IPL and the roast from the Schwarzbier will mess up your pils.  Is that about as clear as mud or crystal?

Actually, I have never seen carryover from a slurry, either in taste or color.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 09:18:06 am »

I'm surprised to hear that.  Have you tried a Impy Stout slurry in a blonde without washing? That was my first mistake with US05 yeast harvesting.  I then realized that saving a bit if the starter slurry to build up again for another planned brew was better than harvest and repitch without washing.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 10:01:31 am »
I've used yeast from a stout in a pale beer.  However, I built up a starter so I wasn't pitching any of the stout liquid into the pale beer.  I didn't notice any carryover, but I suppose it all depends on how you do it.

As far as the OP, I do pretty much exactly what Denny does.  Only difference is I use 1 liter plastic beverage containers.  I think they're rubbermaid.  If pressure builds up, the top will pop open, which is nice.  I rarely fill more than one container when I'm collecting yeast as I typically build up starters because I don't brew as often as I'd like.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 10:01:51 am »

I'm surprised to hear that.  Have you tried a Impy Stout slurry in a blonde without washing? That was my first mistake with US05 yeast harvesting.  I then realized that saving a bit if the starter slurry to build up again for another planned brew was better than harvest and repitch without washing.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I've done a dunkel into a pils.  Others also, but that's the one that leaps to mind.

www.dennybrew.com