Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Received Wrong Package In Mail (Got to Keep) - What do with this Extract?  (Read 3598 times)

Offline darwin18

• 1st Kit
So a few weeks ago, I placed an order with an online homebrewing vendor.  I received the order, and it was clearly not mine.  I contacted them and they told me I could keep the order and that they would re-send my order.

I've been all-grain brewer since I started out, and I've never done an extract batch.  The person whose order I received, is definitely an extract brewer.  What can I do with this:

• 3.15 lbs Gold Malt (Malted Barley) - Maillard
  • 3.15 lbs Wheat Malt (65%W/35%M) - Maillard
  • 1 lb Dry Plain Wheat Malt (55%W/45%M)
  • 2 oz Fuggles (3.8%)
  • 1 oz Sweet Orange Peel
  • 1 oz Bitter Orange Peel
  • 4 oz Corriander Seeds

It looks to me initially like a Witbier recipe?  4 oz of corriander is way too much though. 

I brew 5-gallon batches and haven't done an extract batch before.  We just had our first son and he's a month old so the idea of a 1.5 - 2 hr brew day instead of my usual 4 - 5 hours is very appealing. 

Do you all have any suggestions and how I can cobble together a decent receipe?  I work near a solid LHBS and can pick up ingredients to beef it up.   

Thanks!
BJCP #F0684 - Certified

Offline cdawson

• Cellarman
Looks to me like it is ingredients for a Blue Moon style wit beer clone. There are several recipes available among all the different kit manufacturers...This one looks similar just looking one up quick. https://www.homebrewsupply.com/media/pdf/Extract_PDFs/EX_INS_BlueMoonClone.pdf

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Definitely a witbier recipe. They may only sell coriander seeds in that volume. Not sure the recipe calls for all of the orange peel either. If you want to brew a witbier you can look at the witbier recipes on the AHA site for ideas about how much orange peel and coriander to use.

Alternatively you could brew it as an American wheat or a wheat-y pale ale by using little to no spices and more hops.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
+1 to what they said.
Witbier, ingredients packs are bigger than the recipe requires.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Sounds like Northern Brewer.  Years ago they sent me a 50 lb. sack of DME by mistake.  I think I made starters out of that for 5 years.  At the end, it had turned into hard DME brickettes.  But it still made good starters.