Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt base for an orange hue  (Read 11073 times)

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
Malt base for an orange hue
« on: April 06, 2017, 04:58:06 am »
I am working on a grain bill for what I hope will be my house IPA. I have made a few versions now and I am really leaning towards a hop combo I have tried a few times that I can only describe as being reminiscent of a nice crisp orange soda. It is by no means a cloying sweet weird soda like IPA, and it's not even juicy per-se even though I do live in NE :) It is however very crisp and refreshing with orange zest and citrus overtones with a nice flavor and balance so far.

For my base malt I have been using a roughly 80/20 2-row and white wheat. I enjoy the lightness of the 2-row and wheat combo, as it provides a great neutral base for the hops. At an average of 6% ABV this is very drinkable.

Knowing that, and knowing I would like to keep the body similar to what I have, does anyone have any suggestions for a specialty or even fairly neutral base malt that would provide a nice orange tint to this beer. Why you say? Because I can and I know most people are visual tasters.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Malt base for an orange hue
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:49:11 am »
I have found that I get an orange hue more from yeast in suspension more than any grain bill I have ever encountered.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:52:50 am »
Add a bit of Munich and some low L crystal.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 05:59:20 am »
I use crystal 40 in APA and AIPA at between 2 and 7%. Gives a pale orange color at the low end to a more pronounced orange color on the higher end.
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:01:24 am »
Vienna?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 06:02:33 am »
I'll get some disagreement on this I'm sure but my vote is for a half pound of British Crystal ~60L/5 gallons. I have had good luck with Baird's. I find it doesn't really add much body and the caramel toffee flavors are neither particularly sweet or strong in their C55 when used at that level. If it's still not orange enough then add small (very small, like ~1/2 oz.) amounts of Midnight Wheat to get you there.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:35:10 am »
I have found that I get an orange hue more from yeast in suspension more than any grain bill I have ever encountered.

This is good thought, I have also been toying with the idea of switching to an English ale yeast and doing the early dry hop/ biotransorfmation thing... But I worry that will get me too far away from the crispness I enjoy in this beer.

If anyone has had Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA, that is where I started for this beer, I have just leaned more towards a simcoe/centennial/Amarillo as opposed to what I've heard smuttynose uses which is almost all simcoe/Amarillo. I was particularly drawn to this beer for its clean clear finish and drinkability.

I guess what I'm really seeking is a color only contribution. I worry changing out a large portion of the base grist will change the beer too much, like if I were to add a significant portion of crystal/Vienna/munich. I was hoping for more of a 1-3% specialty, similar to how one would get red tones in an irish red.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:35:39 am »
I wish I had a picture. I usually use a grain bill of 80% pale malt and 20% munich for my IPA's, no crystal. It is quite orange and provides a nice malt backbone without too much sweetness. I find that by using a grain bill that isn't too sweet I can keep the ibu's at a lower level and concentrate on aroma hops. Its very drinkable.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 07:38:08 am »
I know color calculations are just estimates but what would be a recommended SRM? 6-7?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 07:54:53 am »
I know this won't be popular but, have you thought of using a couple drops of red and yellow food coloring? It won't change the flavor at all and will allow you to adjust both the hue and intensity. You may want to dilute the coloring and try it in a small quantity of beer and then add to the batch accordingly.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 09:26:43 am »
There are a number of good options on grain combinations that will give you an orange hue but I would be cautious about changing the flavor along with the color.

I would consider some oats or flaked grain that will yield haze without adjusting flavor. If you're still a little too yellow then a tiny amount of sinimar or dehusked carafa to edge the color darker. The protein from oats and/or flaked grain would give a little more body but not affect the flavor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 10:08:13 am »
I know color calculations are just estimates but what would be a recommended SRM? 6-7?

I would say 6-7 would be about right, honestly the color of the top banner of this page would be nice (at least on the computer I am on). I would put my current recipe at about a 2.5 SRM. It is very light and brilliantly clear.

The clarity is another consideration. For some reason I like VERY clear beer and always strive for it, which I consistently achieve. I feel that for some reason a nice clear IPA is just more drinkable than a hazy one (yes I know this is all in my head!)

SO a brilliantly clear IPA at about 6-7 SRM, leaning toward the orange and not the red is really what I want! I like the idea of mostly keeping the base and maybe trying a tiny bit of sinimar or debittered/dehusked dark malts to get the tint. I really appreciate the feedback, this is giving me some good ideas. I'll be brewing this for my rotation this weekend so hopefully I can nail something down by then.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 11:18:36 am »
Aromatic gives a nice orange highlight, but I'm not sure if the flavor might be too potent for an IPA at the amount you need to hit that color.

I use Munich and Victory together in my IPA's quite a bit. It comes out a bit deeper than gold, but not quite orange at about 15% Munich and 5% Victory.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 11:26:29 am »
I know its a big change in your grist, but my house IPA is 75/20/5 2-row/Munich I/Victory. It clocks in at 6.4SRM. Don's seem to have a current pic, but I know I have posted pics of it on the Pics of Recent beers thread. Byt the way it is delicious. The grist %s came from somebody on here, maybe erockRph or fmader and I have been loving it for the last 3+ years
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 11:45:28 am »
Assuming you are brewing 5 gallon batches, try adding a pound of caravienne to your base malt mix.