Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Well, here we go again.  (Read 4500 times)

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Well, here we go again.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2021, 02:21:52 pm »
The more I learned, the less I wanted to be a commercial brewer.

And the longer I was a commercial brewer, the less I wanted to stay one. Very glad to have put that world behind me, at least from a career standpoint.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2021, 02:23:37 pm »

And the longer I was a commercial brewer, the less I wanted to stay one. Very glad to have put that world behind me, at least from a career standpoint.

I think maybe it happens with anything you love that you start doing as a job.  At least that's what happened to me several times.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2021, 04:14:22 pm »

I think maybe it happens with anything you love that you start doing as a job.  At least that's what happened to me several times.
That's what scares me. I have a few hobbies and I think about the what if I did this commercially and then I get worried it will make me hate what I love to do and I steer clear.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2021, 04:22:41 pm »

That's what scares me. I have a few hobbies and I think about the what if I did this commercially and then I get worried it will make me hate what I love to do and I steer clear.

For 30 years I owned and ran a recording studio.  We wrote and recorded music and sound effects for film and video.  My dream life when it started.  By the time we closed it down, it was just another job that I had to go to every day.  And it pretty much killed my love of music.   Now, that doesn't happen to everyone, but it's not rare either.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2021, 05:54:44 pm »
Homebrew is fun and commercial brewing is work. I just happen to enjoy that work. I am particularly enjoying this challenge. Yes, I get it isn't for everyone. But I love it.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2021, 07:27:50 pm »
Homebrew is fun and commercial brewing is work. I just happen to enjoy that work. I am particularly enjoying this challenge. Yes, I get it isn't for everyone. But I love it.

All the best.

Don’t listen to the negative waves. Do what you love.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2021, 10:25:55 pm »
FWIW, brewing is my second career. I used to be a mechanical designer working for medical laser companies in Silicon Valley. I burned out on it and ended up hating my job.
I started homebrewing and fell in love with it. So I took a job in a brewery before finding out enough to dissuade me, thankfully, because I still enjoy my work 23 years later. Sure, there's been ups and downs, and breweries that I didn't like working for, but overall it's been very satisfying work and I'm in a sweet situation now.
I realize its not for everyone, to each their own, but for me it's what I'm passionate about. And I still brew at home, because it's still fun, and is totally, completely different than brewing commercially. My lovely wife thinks I'm obsessed, I think she just needs another beer. 🍺

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2021, 05:45:33 am »
This is my fourth brewing job and 3rd stint as Head Brewer. My first brewing job was the brewery I started. I got screwed out of that job by a greedy-control freak partner who became GM. Even though I was the second largest shareholder he was on the board with the largest shareholder and he basically took total control of the company. That was a 10 year endeavor building a company from scratch. I am unfortunately still a shareholder there because they won't make me a legitimate offer to buy me out. It is really weird to be working locally for a brewery that competes against a brewery you starter and partially own. I spend 5K to be removed from my fiduciary duties of that company so no threat of suit as long as I don't brew the same recipes. All the award winning recipes and the core flagship recipes at that company are mine. So that part of the business I don't like but that could be a part of any business.

I'm really loving this new job, I just hope I can save the company without it folding. I'm at the age where I need to be the boss, not the worker bee. I definitely work, don't get me wrong. But I have a crew (a cellar guy and a brewer) who do most of the heavy work. I still brew, clean kegs on occasion, mop the floors, help on the canning line. I even climb a ladder from time to time. But I enjoy being more on the conductor side.

And I still homebrew too. Because it is fun!

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2021, 06:05:54 am »
And lest you think that all I do is think about, read about, and talk about brewing, I'm a lifelong musician. Playing in bands since I was in high school, some of them very good. I still play on a regular basis because it's still fun, plus they give us money at the end of the night.

I'll keep playing drums and brewing beer as long as it's still fun, and when it's not I'll probably retire and go fishing. 🍺

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2021, 02:03:47 pm »
Best of luck, Keith.  I remember hearing such good things about your beers at YH.  I hope that you can brew the styles you want, even if that directly competes with the old recipes.  So many beers are basic recipes, so I don't know how they could claim your new ones as a copy of the simplest styles, if you were to brew them using somewhat different grist components, but be careful to make them new to you.  Brew good beer and they will come!  Cheers to your phoenix endeavor.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Well, here we go again.
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2021, 01:13:23 pm »
Now we’re talkin:

https://whnt.com/news/huntsville/a-new-craft-beer-trail-is-launching-in-honor-of-nasas-artemis-program

Here’s that Free the Hops newsletter:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:18:33 pm by BrewBama »

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2021, 02:21:44 pm »
Isn't "Bar Rescue" a show on TV ;-) I know I've seen it in the channel guide.