Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 38 -Gluten Free Tanning  (Read 2411 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 38 -Gluten Free Tanning
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:25:00 am »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-38-gluten-free-tanning

Stand back everyone and hold our beer - we're going for a shorter show today! (Suspect Denny might need a temporary break from editing or something)

We do the feedback circuit, including a visit to the Correctional Department of Corrections, and then hit the pub for our recollections of Session Beer Day, some of our favorite April Fool's pranks from brewers (including one that wasn't actually a prank) and the upcoming Big Brew

In the lab, we finally have our results in from our BrewTan B experiment that we started last year. What do the guys make of the results and we talk with Joe Formanek of Anjinomoto about what they mean.

Then in the Lounge we actually visit a question that came in from a listener about her challenges making truly gluten free beer. Since neither of us are gluten free experts, we rope in an actual expert - James Neumeister of Portland's Ground Breaker Brewery, a gluten free brewery.

Finally we tackle questions we can answer. Drop a quick tip on ya and explore one reason Drew would have something positive to say about the New York Yankees. (No, hell has not frozen over and yes, it involves dogs.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:29:37 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 38 -Gluten Free Tanning
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:31:31 am »

I have used this tanning lotion for years, and I believe it contains no gluten.  It makes me as orange as the Commander in Chief.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:55:46 pm »
In the lab, we finally have our results in from our BrewTan B experiment that we started last year. What do the guys make of the results and we talk with Joe Formanek of Anjinomoto about what they mean.

Cool
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 10:29:44 am »
So 6 out of 7 trials failed to reach significance.  That doesn't really surprise me given my own experiences with Brewtan B on its own.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 11:17:58 am »
So 6 out of 7 trials failed to reach significance.  That doesn't really surprise me given my own experiences with Brewtan B on its own.

Yep.  But keep in mind a few things...several brewers did not use it per instructions.  Also, most of the comments were very positive.  And none of the beers were tested with age on them.  My own (untriangled) assessment is that it does improve my beers and I will keep using it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:54:59 am »
We got in some late results that pushes the total into significance!  Also some great pics of beers aged for 4 months that show the Brewtan beer significantly clearer.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 11:55:25 am »
found anywhere stateside to get BTB?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 11:59:07 am »

Talks are underway between Ajinomoto and a major US homebrew wholesaler.  Hope is to have it available by HBC time.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 12:08:06 pm »

Talks are underway between Ajinomoto and a major US homebrew wholesaler.  Hope is to have it available by HBC time.

Good to hear!
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 01:31:49 pm »
I am on my second sachet of two ordered last year from Aussie land.  I hope it will last me until it is available here in the States for homebrewers.  Otherwise, I will have to go down under again (unless I can talk a pro brewer friend to part with an ounce....)  Thankfully, you don't need very much for a batch. (2-5 grams per hectoliter per the packaging).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 02:03:13 pm »
I am on my second sachet of two ordered last year from Aussie land.  I hope it will last me until it is available here in the States for homebrewers.  Otherwise, I will have to go down under again (unless I can talk a pro brewer friend to part with an ounce....)  Thankfully, you don't need very much for a batch. (2-5 grams per hectoliter per the packaging).

Grams per hectoliter?  No thanks!  I follow Joe's instructions....1/4 tsp. per 5 gal. of mash and sparge water, 1/2 tsp. in a hot water slurry 15 min. before end of boil.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:01:17 pm »
For 5 gallon batches, that's fine, but weighing it out is better for me on my 10-12 gallon batches (nearly half a hectliter for rounding).  It is fairly forgiving as an ingredient, though so slightly heavy handed doses are still ok.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"