Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is your local HBS less or more expensive than online?  (Read 7432 times)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Re: Is your local HBS less or more expensive than online?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 11:00:12 am »
90% LHBS and dabble with YVH for unique hops.  Any good LHBS knows they compete with online retailers and uses it to it's advantage.  IE My LHBS does sacks of malt that blow beat online cost without even talking about shipping.  Prices a bit higher on other stuff but not robbery.  If your LHBS feels like a hustle and I've been to a few, I'd order online.  If you expect LHBS to beat Northern Brewer, chill out and enjoy supporting a local business, as it's not always a numbers game.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 12:02:36 pm »
More expensive, but worth it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 12:14:59 pm »
I don't buy online unless my local doesn't carry it. And where i am, grain is considered a food product, so there is no tax on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Same here.  That said, I think local prices might be a little better than online, and there's no shipping.  No sales tax in OR, either.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 12:20:16 pm »
My local homebrew store is Label Peelers. It's close to an hour's drive so it's not really local. I purchase most of my supplies through them. If it's small, I order online and ship. If it's bulk grain, I order online and do a store pick up. They are located very close to LD Carlson,so it's best to order ahead of time, because they don't keep everything in stock. However, they usually have your items that you order in stock within a day or two.

Hops, on the other hand, are purchased online through Yakima Valley Hops.

Every now and again, I will need to use Northern Brewer for a purchase, but it's not very often.
Frank

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 04:04:20 pm »
More Beer is my LHBS and is only 10 mins away, so it's hard to beat their prices for bulk grain. I'll also pick up liquid yeast in store. Bulk hops, dry yeast and equipment purchases are usually made online.

I feel no guilt with shopping online, since MoreBeer also has a large online presence. So it's not like a local mom and pop is losing business.
John L.
---
Planning: Simcoe SMaSH
Bubbling:
Drinking: Saison, Amber Ale, APA, American Strong Ale

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 05:53:03 pm »
IME, it all depends on the specific item.  Some stuff is cheaper, some wildly more expensive (usually the smaller hardware pieces).  I try to buy local, and the convenience of walking in and picking up whatever you need the day before brew day can't be beat, but often for big orders I'll price it out on-line and locally and see where it comes out.

We've got >10% sales tax over by here, which can get pricey quickly.  At least for equipment.  I'm not sure what taxes apply to grains, etc. but I'm sure they get well taxed.

Grain gets taxed as food in IL. Never  paid attention to hops and yeast, though.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 06:10:36 pm »
Grain, hops, and yeast are non-taxable food in CA. Pretty sure most of the additives are non-taxable as well. Maybe not oak, but whirlfloc, salts, spices, etc.

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 06:44:25 pm »
I never check local prices vs. online.  In central Maryland we are fortunate that there are 4 LHBS within 45 minutes, most of which also offer a homebrew club or AHA discount.

I shop online (Williams and morebeer, never again NB or Midwest) once in a blue moon when there's a specialty item, or for which I don't feel like making a separate trip.  I also try to make at least one purchase a year from them to meet a requirement that at least one of them has before they'll donate a prize for a homebrew competition.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 05:16:28 am »
I am in the unique position of having a well stocked homebrew shop that it included in an excellent bottle/draft shop literally in the same "campus" as my brewery. I can walk from my back door to their backdoor in about 30 seconds or less. And if I ask them to stock something they will. So al most never buy homebrew/small batch ingredients online.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 06:25:55 am »
I have two excellent homebrew shops near me, but to save time more than anything, I use MoreBeer. Working full-time and helping raise a grandson, time has become more important than money, though, like many homebrewers, I like to make beer for the least money possible. I feel like MoreBeer saves me time and money...and gas.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline tommymorris

Is your local HBS less or more expensive than online?
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 07:13:03 am »
For the LHBS here, the price of the ingredients is competitive, more than some online shops, less than others. We have to pay 8% tax on ingredients.

However, its local. That has value.  You can stop buy and get just one thing you need, whereas online you are best off waiting and grouping lots of things into a single order to save on shipping.

Also, the LHBS here is an experience. They sell commercial beer and have a nice bar with many taps. You can drink a pint, get some ingredients, fill a growler, and pick up a 6-pack all at one place.

Some of our local breweries also sell ingredients.  They are cheap, but, I have never bought from them because I don't want to buy a full sack of grain and don't want to waste their time asking them to split a bag.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:37:59 am by alestateyall »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 07:16:43 am »
I am in the unique position of having a well stocked homebrew shop that it included in an excellent bottle/draft shop literally in the same "campus" as my brewery. I can walk from my back door to their backdoor in about 30 seconds or less. And if I ask them to stock something they will. So al most never buy homebrew/small batch ingredients online.

Forgot to include that his prices are competitive to online. However recently he was out of some yeast I needed and I was forced to order from Northern Brewer.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 07:18:15 am »
I pay a little more at my LHBS and I don't mind. I stop by on the way home from work to buy supplies or just talk about beer. I get a small discount on grains by being a member of the local club. But it is small and doesn't carry some grain I sometimes use and some hops I sometimes want. I usually order those online. I have been known to order things through the LHBS when cheaper online. I want to support my local shop and don't want to lose that business.
Ralph R.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 07:19:44 am »
For the LHBS here, the price of the ingredients is competitive, more than some online shops, less than others. We have to pay 8% tax on ingredients.

However, its local. That has value.  You can stop buy and get just one thing you need, whereas online you are best off waiting and grouping lots of things into a single order to save on shipping.

Also, the LHBS here is an experience. They sell commercial beer and and have a nice bar with many taps. You can drink a pint, get some ingredients, fill a growler, and pick up a 6-pack all at one place.

Some of our local breweries also sell ingredients.  They are cheap, but, I have never bought from them because I don't want to buy a full sack of grain and don't want to waste their time asking them to split a bag.

Yep, I agree with what you said. I tried to say the same thing and was typing when you submitted your's
Ralph R.

Offline MountSwolympus

• 1st Kit
  • Beers & Barbells
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 07:37:14 am »
I work at my LHBS, so it's the cheapest one around for me ;) However, I did start shopping there after I had some bad experiences with staff at the one by my house. Our prices are pretty decent, I feel, since we're pretty big and get bulk discounts.