Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is your local HBS less or more expensive than online?  (Read 7433 times)

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
Re: Is your local HBS less or more expensive than online?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2017, 08:44:56 pm »
Great - I will.  There used to be a small one in Valpo, owned by the same guy that had one in LaPorte, but both of them closed.  Happy to hear about this one and I'll certainly check it out.  Thanks!

Your welcome, I also was at Valpo Brews a few times as well. That was a nice place too, I have no idea what happened, one day they were just gone. I'm in Hobart, how about you?
Schererville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chad Haatvedt

• 1st Kit
    • BorealBrewers
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2017, 07:18:29 pm »
I have done price checking between my LHBS and the big boys, and found that my local shop is very competitive.  I live in a small town, (<15,000) and nearly 200 miles from the big city suppliers.  I really appreciate having a source that can meet 95% of my needs.  I am willing to pay a small premium for that luxury.

Our local HB club has supported our LHBS by directing most of our purchases there, and recommending them highly to other brewers.  The manager of the LHBS consults with us regularly about what items to stock, and what supplies to keep on hand.  This has resulted in a very good selection of grains, hops and yeast, and all of the little incidental hardware items that we need.

Sure, I shop online for high dollar / low volume stuff that the LHBS cannot afford to stock.  They understand.

There are 10 kinds of home brewers.  Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2017, 07:30:43 pm »
We have no sales tax in Oregon. I find local very competitive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal

Offline Rusty Nails

• 1st Kit
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2017, 10:35:18 pm »
When I first started basically had two choices. One in Portland Oregon, one in Vancouver Washington. Both about a 2 hr drive one way. To avoid the drive, fuel costs and hatred of the traffic (the county I live in has a population of 20,000, I'm not used to that many cars in one place), I started ordering from them by phone. Now LHBS have come and gone close by, but I find their selection limited. Also, I've noticed a 'box-store' look to their inventory that I am not used to. I buy some things local, but most stuff I still call the two stores I started with. Hard to break old habits.

Ed
Southwest Washington