Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great Western vs Briess vs Rahr  (Read 12139 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Great Western vs Briess vs Rahr
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:27:28 pm »
Anyone have an opinion? 
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Great Western vs Briess vs Rahr
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 04:34:47 am »
Yes.  Great Western for the win.  Even though Briess is local to me, I have not been impressed by their malts compared to GW.  I need to taste more Rahr to know for sure but I think it's in between.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 05:23:35 am »
I don't have a local supply of the GW, but much prefer Rahr over the Briess for base malt.

Offline tommymorris

Great Western vs Briess vs Rahr
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 06:12:29 am »
Has Brülosophy.com ever done anything with this? This question comes up several times a year.

I use Briess and Rahr interchangeably. I have made 100% 2-row pale beers with both and found them both to be good. No side by side comparisons though.

PS. I have never used GW.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:06:33 am »
I will not use Briess. I feel it is so far behind the other 2, that it isn't comparable. I've used nearly a thousand pounds of Rahr. I don't have anyone local selling GW. I just bought 2 sacks of GW and I'll figure out what I like best. I'm going to make some light color beers w low I IBU to try. That would be a nice test to see what people like side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:15:38 am »
I will also add that, in my experience, Rahr tends to drop the ph a few points. I think Martin or Kai discussed it years back. I've always inputted it in Bru'n water at 5L. That has been pretty accurate IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 08:27:12 am »
I have never used GW. I like Rahr over Briess. My LHBS started carrying Malteurope 2-row, and that is pretty good and the price is low, so that is what I use for domestic 2-row base malt.

Briess has started to source Malt from one of the western states in the last few years, has that changed the product?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 09:14:58 am »
Basically anything but Briess.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 09:36:34 am »
GW/Briess/Rahr, they're all good malts in my book and each with a forte.  GW is the most husky tasting (not a bad thing, just a thing); Briess is the most flavorless (again, a great choice when you want the malt to sit quietly in the back of the room); Rahr is neither husky, nor flavorless, but maybe sweet and plain.  Malteurop is pretty variable in terms of quality - I've had good quality bags and terrible quality bags (small kernels, super-husky).  Just my opinion of course.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 09:57:50 am »
I assume you're asking about their pale malt, I've used all three, admittedly not a ton of rahr though. The kernel size and smell test makes GW stand out against briess. GW has larger kernels and is more aromatic. Hand in hand its tough for me to tell the Rahr and GW apart.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 10:14:32 am »
I don't have a local supply of the GW, but much prefer Rahr over the Briess for base malt.

Same here. We don't get GW around here, but I've used plenty of Briess 2 row and Rahr 2 row, and Rahr is vastly better IMO. Rahr is much more flavorful where Briess, while not objectionable in any way, is bland by comparison. Having said that, I use Briess on occasion in American styles.
Jon H.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 10:56:59 am »
I like GW, but as an alternative, look into local, small batch maltsters. I live in a grain growing area and there are craft maltsters popping up everywhere. Depending on where you live, this might be an option.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 11:25:52 am »
I have never used GW. I like Rahr over Briess. My LHBS started carrying Malteurope 2-row, and that is pretty good and the price is low, so that is what I use for domestic 2-row base malt.

Briess has started to source Malt from one of the western states in the last few years, has that changed the product?

Haven't tried the two row but have done taste test beween Canadian, Best and Maltoeurope pils malt and the German and Canadian were preferred over the Maltoeurope 100% by everyone who tasted it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 12:17:49 pm »
Has Brülosophy.com ever done anything with this? This question comes up several times a year.

I use Briess and Rahr interchangeably. I have made 100% 2-row pale beers with both and found them both to be good. No side by side comparisons though.

PS. I have never used GW.

It wouldn't matter of they did because it's so subjective.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 12:18:40 pm »
I have a slight pref for Rahr over GW, but both are very good.  Briess is a distant 3rd.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell