Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg It?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline EThome

• Cellarman
  • Chicago SW Burb
Keg It?
« on: April 10, 2017, 10:39:24 am »
I brewed a simple all-grain Kolsch recipe last week (4/2). Made a starter with two packs of WLP029 (just to be sure) and have been able to keep fermentation temps to around 60 F with ice bottles and a collapsible cooler. Fermentation started quick and appeared to progress very well.

Typically I just let fermenters sit for 2 weeks. I decided to take a gravity reading this morning (7 days after brewing) when I changed out an ice bottle. I have reached my final gravity of 1.008 (actually a point below expected).

I am planning on lagering for a solid month in the mid-30s while carbonating.

Any reason to let it sit in the primary until the weekend? Or would you transfer to the keg at this point and get a jump on the lagering?
Not Alien to Homebrewing

Offline Jkrehbielp

• Cellarman
Re: Keg It?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 10:49:09 am »
I'd let the temperature rise a couple of degrees to be sure the yeast have finished cleaning things up. Then if possible, slowly lower the temp to near freezing for lagering

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 02:12:51 pm »
If it tastes good then you can keg. 

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 05:16:44 pm »
I usually let my fermenter warm in increments after day 3.  Then by day 6 it is near room temp, 68ish.  I almost always have FG by day 7.  Usually I keg on day 7 and put it into freezer at 34 for a few weeks and then onto the tap.  When it is done, it is done IMO. 
Jeff B