Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many shots of espresso?  (Read 2371 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
How many shots of espresso?
« on: April 09, 2017, 07:25:27 am »
for 5 gallons? RIS going in a cask tomorrow.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How many shots of espresso?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:58:19 am »

Figure it out for yourself.  Pour 4 2 oz. samples.  Hit each with a measured dose of coffee.  Decide which you like best and scale up the amount of coffee.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 11:32:26 am »

Figure it out for yourself.  Pour 4 2 oz. samples.  Hit each with a measured dose of coffee.  Decide which you like best and scale up the amount of coffee.

I'm flying out to washington tomorrow and don't have time to figure it out myself. ;) What has worked for you?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 01:22:27 pm »
I have a Chocolate Coffee Stout that I used Starbucks Via in.  It turned out very nice.  No dilution, no beans to mess with.  I used 4 of the packets.  The final product seemed right at the tipping point of being enough.  So I may go with 5 next time.  I liked the flavor of Columbia better than the other.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 01:37:12 pm »

I'm flying out to washington tomorrow and don't have time to figure it out myself. ;) What has worked for you?

Well, what's worked is doing what I said!  ;)  I've found that there isn't one amount that works for every batch.  Since coffee is bitter, you need to balance the amount against the bitterness in the beer.

Wish I was going to CBC this year.  Go by the Picobrew booth and say hi to everybody for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 02:33:17 pm »
I have a Chocolate Coffee Stout that I used Starbucks Via in.  It turned out very nice.  No dilution, no beans to mess with.  I used 4 of the packets.  The final product seemed right at the tipping point of being enough.  So I may go with 5 next time.  I liked the flavor of Columbia better than the other.

Thanks, I may try that!

Denny, I'm not trying to win gold at NHC, just need a quick turn around on a cask for an event while I'm gone. 10 shots? 12? 20? I have no idea. What have you used in the past. Just give me a starting point.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 08:54:30 pm »
I'd go in the neighborhood of 10. I guess that too is dependent on your machine. I don't think that would be overpowering. That is figuring you use 6g/shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B